Insulating inside door frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had new French and Bi-fold doors fitted. The original sliding doors were fitted to the internal block wall. The new ones are fitted to the outer stone wall which is 14cm further out than the originals.

What is the best way to insulate/make good these gaps given that it will bridge the internal/external walls

DPC between block and stone

Mineral wool between concrete and box steel lintels

Sponsored Links
Why have they positioned the doors with so much of the external masonry visible from inside?

This will not only be a cold bridge but a weathering issue also.

Widows and doors are typically positioned (cavity walls) so that they do not allow any of the external masonry to be visible from inside, i.e. the inner face of the door/window is level with the vertical dpc.

More recently some window fixing systems allow the window/door to be fitted so that it sits even further in, i.e. partly over the cavity as this totally alleviated cold or damp bridging.

Is it summat to do with bi-fold spec's?

Yes, that's a bad install

If the frame design is such that it needs to be near to the outer face, then a DPC should be installed between the frame and the reveal and lapped around into the existing vDPC to form a continuous barrier.

There would need to be some insulation sheet up that reveal to prevent a thermal bridge too.

TBH though, that is a poxy install. Not only have they not finished the internal making good .. "Not our job" they probably would say, and yet it should be their job as part of the installation package

But also, the frame manufacturer has presumably gone to the trouble of designing a thermally efficient frame which wont transfer heat from the inner to outer surface .... and then the frame is installed in the worse way possible creating a thermal bridge of the brickwork - defeating the whole point of thermally efficient frames. What a numpty installation company

That should fail a FENSA or building control inspection

Thanks Guys

I give building control a ring before I make any further repairs

Doors actually installed by manufacturer (There own surveyor stated they had to be fitted to the external walls)

Sponsored Links
The gist of it, is that the fitting of the doors is not the end of the job. It has to be viewed as an installation as a whole, so that the consequences of fitting that frame, in that place, are addressed

Perhaps the frame needs to be there so that doors fold flat against the external wall unhindered by the reveal? But even if so, this has to be dealt with by a proper detail internally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back