Insulating Rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to insulate between my rafters with something which is lightweight, easy to install and cheap. I'm hoping to use my loft as storage/hobby room.
The depth of the rafters is approximately 75mm.
The total area to be covered is approximately 20m2.

I'm currently considering 50mm polystyrene which would have to be cut to size or something like this product:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/21112/Building/Roofing-Insulation/Airtec-Double-Insulation-1-05m-x-25m

Does anyone have any thoughts on this as it seems like a very simple/cheap solution and according to the tech spec it is equivalent to 55mm of polystyrene and would maintain the full air gap between the rafters.

Thanks,

J

Sponsored Links
i don't know of a single architect/designer/b.c.o. who have ever specified this or any other 'space blanket'.

their silence on the product is deafening, yes?

so what dio you suggest?
Would polystyrene be the best option?

Thanks,

J

Sponsored Links
to conform to regulations you need to achieve a value set out in part L building regulations.

if you wish to do it hooky or 'off plan' as it were, then any amount of insulation will help.

try a combination of both space blanket and polystyrene and maintain 25-50mm airgap. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back