Insulating/Sealing UNDER floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved out of my nice warm flat into a an older house which is a good bit colder!

Anyway, I was wondering what the best thing to do regarding heat loss and draughts coming up from under my floor is?

Basically my house has suspended floorboards which I can get underneath, under the floorboards is a load of old rubble etc, when the wind blows through the house it blows the smell of the rubble up any gaps in the floorboards and also makes it colder

Ive been going about fixing any major gaps from the top side, but wondered if I can do anything underneath?

I read on a previous post I found that you could suspend some insulation under my floorboards

Is that a good solution to my problem? any other suggestions before I put carpet etc down

Thanks

Sponsored Links
but surely some under floor insulation would help too?

I should also explain that the previous owners put in some rather rubbish stairs, the job wasnt finished very well and they have draughts at some bits - so the under floor insulation would sort that out a lot as there is parts that I cant get too to cover

PS any reason for the newspaper? will the smells not work there way up at some point?

cheers

PS any reason for the newspaper? will the smells not work there way up at some point?

Newspaper to stop the dust and protect underlay. Makes it last a bit longer.

The way stairs are contructed means you could only have draughts at the bottom under where they are fixed, there should be no way a draught could travel up through the stairs.

If you do want to insulate it will be a big job as all the boards will have to come up and then you could batten the joists and fit Kingspan or simiar in between, would need to check on ventilation to the boards if you did this. If you were going to that trouble I would relay T&G chipboard - no draughts then!

Sponsored Links
im talking about insulating under the floorboards though, I can get under my floors and I have a decent amount of space to move about

I have a hatch that lets me get underneath, so I dont need to lift the floorboards

the draft doesnt come through the stairs, but due to the way they are put up and the floor underneath it I do get some air through it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back