Insulating summerhouse/log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've put up a 4x3 summerhouse/log cabin last month and I'm now looking to get the inside insulated. I was planning on building stud walls with 50mm celotex covered with sheet timber. My concern is that if I attached the stud wall to the cabin walls it won't allow for any movement. I have the internal storm braces up already but I think adding the stud wall with remove any benefit the storm braces are providing. I've checked YouTube and everyone seems to be firing up the stud walls without a mention of movement being affected. Could anyone offer any advice on how I'd go about getting the insulation done please? Cheers

Sponsored Links
I put my log cabin shed nearly twenty years ago, I think the braces you refer to could be these long stud threads that stretch from too to bottom in all four corners, I didn't even install mine. Be aware if you insulate you won't be able to inspect the cabin wood from the inside once covered up and if you're right up against a fence (I am) that can be a problem. Mine rotted right through this year and I ended up cutting out rot and sandwiching in the log between two lots of tongue and groove, ( came from floor boards I never fitted). Just giving you my experience, consider access to the outside walls so you can maintain (keep water off walls for one). Do away with bracing and just maybe stud directly to log wall is my view.

Yeah, you're bang on, those are the braces I'm referring to. I did a bit more reading and the expansion/contraction is caused by moisture in the timber. If there's little moisture then I should be alright. I gave the timbers 5 coats of preserve and 5 coats of water resistant paint so I should be alright. I built the summerhouse in the corner of my garden but it's got 1.5m gap between the boundary at the back and side for access (plus it meant no planning permission required). The stud timber has been ordered and I'll go ahead and fix it to the summerhouse walls when it arrives. Fill with celotex 50mm and cover with 9mm plywood. I think I'm just over thinking it. Cheers for the reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back