Insulating ****** Vaulted Ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always known this is a sh*t job, but anyone got any tips to make it slightly less of a ball ache? done about 2m of a 10m run so far.
I'm currently cutting each 100mm section to exact size, but often end up mashing it up with a lump hammer with my eyes full of celotex dust. Think I may need to cut smaller. Also chamfering at the eves to get it as far down over the wall plate as poss.
Worst job of my extension so far - trying to stitch my brother in law up to come and do it but not managed to yet.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I used to try doing it the way you are, but just cut small and wedge nowadays, then expanding foam it all in one go.

I find a sharpened cooks palette knife very handy for flattening back the lumpy expanding foam afterwards.

Sponsored Links
cheers, wedge with bits of celotex?

That what I use, yes. I aim to cut around 8mm narrower than measured, which translates to an average gap all round of 4mm, but in reality that's between 0mm and 8mm depending on how bowed/twisted the rafters might be etc.

measure accurately, if it tapers mark and cut.

If you cut each insulation board with an angled cut it will go in easier.

If you are going to foam, cut 10mm or more smaller so you can get the gun in.

leaving a 5mm gap doesnt help!

We rub the cuts up the bare block walls (like a surform) to shape the Celotex cuts.

It's important that they fit snug or are wedged in. There is nowt more disheartening than finding pieces on the floor in the morning. We foil tape all joints also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back