Insulation behind dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago now I had a new dishwasher fitted.
Although I am really happy with the installation, since fitting on cold days we're feeling a cold draught come from under and around the dishwasher.

I should explain that the dishwasher is free standing and the fitter I used had to do some reconfigeration of the kitchen units to make space for it (i.e take out a cupboard).

The house is a mid-terrace built c1920 and as such is a single skin construction with no cavity. I'm guessing that previously the cold air was trapped within the cupboards (plates and the like are freezing when taken from the remaining cuboards) but now is free to escape under and around the dishwasher. I should add that behind the dishwasher and cupboards it's bare brick, no plaster etc.

Unfortunately clearance behind the dishwasher is very tight and it could probably only come forward an inch before it prevented the adjacent cuboard in the corner from opening properly.

I've been racking my brains to come up with an insulation solution but it's got me stumped. Any ideas out there?

Sponsored Links
There must be a vent allowing in cold air, simply removing a cup'd is not going to make the room colder.Did plumber cut a hole thru wall for waste and leave it unsealed.?

The plumber did cut a hole through the wall for the new waste, but seems well sealed (from the outside at least).

Guess I'm going to have to pull it all out and see where the vent of cold air is coming from!

Sponsored Links
As nobody is going to see it behind a dishwasher, how about some polystyrene ceiling tiles glued to the wall with wallpaper paste?

Or you can get radiator foil with a couple of mm of polystyrene veneer on the back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back