Insulation & boarding loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi good people, I am hopeful for a bit of clear info as I have over thought this & read too many posts & have ended up totally confused.

Basically I have a small 12"x 10" area under a sloping roof 5" high sloping to floor level in a old Victorian terrace. I want to board & insulate in the most sensible way (cost wise and effective wise)

Mainly I want to board it to store items such as Xmas decs etc nothing too heavy. The "floor" of the loft (i.e. above the ceiling) the joists are about 4x2 & already have insulation between the joists...Ideally I would put more insulation down..(as this is advised).but i would have to raise floor on stilts to do this but would lose height & the stilts are expensive themselves ..

Can I lay something like celotex direct onto the floor joists & then board over? Would it just squash the celetex into the joists? If it would...would laying a thin ply onto joists first help do you think?

I am also slightly worried that the 18mm b&q type loft boards are heavy for the ceiling?

Secondly whilst in the loft area I can see the slates, there is no fabric membrane but some slates have a white plastic stuff stayed on the slates thats crumbling away..Whilst I don't particularly want a warm loft..I know I need to put something on the rafters if only to stop the dirt coming down if nothing else. I know there is the foil you staple on to the rafters but I wonder if it is possible / advisable better value to just fit a celotex sheets whole across the rafters (rather than in-between) as I can't get 50mm between the board and the underside if the slates otherwise ..
Thanks for reading, sorry it's a bit basic ..I have read loads but get confused!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back