Insulation efficiency when squashed

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be insulating a ceiling and loft after some rot treatment, and am just wondering whether 100mm insulation is more effective than 170mm squashed between rafters.

The reason is that in some areas there is only 100mm height, but I will get a better discount if I buy all of 170mm. So if I get the 170 and squash it into the 100mm height areas, will it be worse than the equivilent 100mm insulation?

Sponsored Links
I will be insulating a ceiling and loft after some rot treatment, and am just wondering whether 100mm insulation is more effective than 170mm squashed between rafters.

The reason is that in some areas there is only 100mm height, but I will get a better discount if I buy all of 170mm. So if I get the 170 and squash it into the 100mm height areas, will it be worse than the equivilent 100mm insulation?

The insulation is due to the trapped air, so if you squash insulation down, it will be worse than the same size non-squashed.
You can cut if down a bit if needed, but can be messy / itchy !
Simon.

The insulation is due to the trapped air, so if you squash insulation down, it will be worse than the same size non-squashed.
You can cut if down a bit if needed, but can be messy / itchy !
Simon.
Simon,
I know that like for like it will be less efficient, my question though is:

Is 170mm insulation squashed to 100mm less efficient than 100mm insulation unsquashed.

My gut feel is that it probably is, but if the insulation difference is minimal then the cost difference isnt.

Sponsored Links
I can't remember where I saw it - or it may have been talking to the Tech dept at Rockwool - but the answer was that squashed insulation gives same thermal insulation as unsquashed insulation of same finished thickness ( clear :D ? ) although it will probably give you better acoustic insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back