Insultation in the rafters. Is there an official guide?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am beginning the first stages of insulating the loft at rafter level, with a view to converting the loft. This would also add an some extra insulation for the time being.

The loft is already insulated, although poorly, at joist level. When the floor is replaced with proper joist this insulation will be replaced.

I am looking at solid insulation like celotex to fit between the rafters. The rafters are only 85mm deep.

Question is how much ventilation space should I leave and can I get away with simply putting thin insulation in between the rafters. I have read that it has to be 100mm minimum.

I must stress that this will not be an official loft conversion, so the house will become a "2 + 1" bed house.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I must stress that this will not be an official loft conversion, so the house will become a "2 + 1" bed house.

I'm afraid you need to clarify what a 2+1 bed house is? We ain't talking 2 seater sports cars here now. As far as building regulations are concerned, as soon as the stairs are fitted then regulations apply.

I won't be using a permanent staircase so it won't be an official room. Hence 2+1. A term estate agents use. I will be addressing means of escape though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back