Interesting Fault - Viessmann Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since my boiler was replaced (to Viessmannn Vitodens 100-W) have been having an intermittent fault, boiler would shut down and a pair of alarms .... over temp, and low voltage. Sometimes 2 or 3 weeks with no issue then, 5 or 6 times in a day ?

Fun to run in a new 5 core cable to boiler all overhead, but got it done.
Viessmann connected it at the boiler .... initiated call for heat from system .,.. run up OK, cancelled call for heat ..... RCD tripped.
Repeated - and the same result each time.

After some investigation found the L,N,E which were the feed for the previous BAXI, was supposed to have been used for this boiler, the installers though decided only to connect the L (to perform switched live) They needed permanent live so it took that from nearby mains outlet, and also used N from that.

The issue was traced to System controls (switched Live) being on one RCD and the main socket (ring main) was on another RCD ..... the crossed Neutrals were causing the RCD's to trip.
Must have been just on edge of N imbalance threshold as was intermittent, untill pump overrun added.

If we had not added in the pump overrun and made this a repeatable fault could have been chasing this for months.
Luckily had run in a new 5 core cable so could provide permanent L&N as well as pump overrun form my system, and remove the local socket permanent live.

Fair play to Viessmann - they knew it was not a boiler fault, but were prepared to work with me to find the cause, installer had just passed the issue direct to Viessmann.

Sponsored Links
That reminds me of this sorry tale!:

The eureka moment is around the 10:30 mark.
This is why it is often recommended in the manufacturer's instructions to have a single source of isolation for boilers, controls and ancillary items :)

You are right - almost identical ..... except in my case it was taking out RCDs
On your comment 'single source for boiler & controls' I agree and that is what was I installed when I bult the house. ..... with a specific 3 core feed to the boiler from the System Control point. The Baxi just needing a S/L
The Viessmann needs in addition a permanent live, and issue was the installers took permanent live for boiler from a separate cct.
If they had connected Neutral thoughts are it would have probably caused trips to go all the time. Just connecting L .... had left it with floating voltages.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back