interference engine or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2002 astra club, 1.4 8 v, does anyone know if its an interference engine ?

cheers in advance

P.S
i know to do a compression test etc, its just the car is down the country, if it means new valves etc it may not be worth going down to bring it back up here in the northeast, as it all costs, if its only a case of belt and kit then its worth it to me

Sponsored Links
sure it's a 1.4 as TIS only list the 1.6 as an 8v

If so the 8v's are a suicide head/clearance
But not all that great on failing safe rockers snap had this on a MK1 astra same head design

• Engine Code Engine Management Engine Type
    C 16 SEL Multec-S DOHC–
    X 12 XE Motronic M 1.5.5 DOHC–0
    X 14 XE Multec-S DOHC–I
    X 16 SZR Multec (F) OHC–I
    X 16 XEL Multec-S DOHC–I
    X 18 XE1 Simtec 70 DOHC–I
    X 20 XEV Simtec 70 DOHC–II
    X 20 XER Simtec 70 DOHC–II
    Z 12 XE Motronic ME 1.5.5 DOHC–0
    Z 14 XE Multec-S DOHC–I
    Z 14 XEP Motronic-ME 7.6.2 DOHC–0
    Z 16 SE Multec-S OHC–I
    Z 16 YNG Multec S / YNG DOHC–I
    Z 16 XE Multec-S DOHC–I
    Z 16 XEP Multec-S DOHC–I
    Z 18 XEL Simtec 71 DOHC–I
    Z 18 XE Simtec 71 DOHC–I
    Z 20 LET Motronic ME 1.5.5 DOHC–II
    Z 22 SE GMPT E15 DOHC–L850

Sponsored Links
We had a neighbours Honda 1.6 (DOHC) in a n old Civic and it broke the belt.

Popped the new belt on and it started!

But the was an exception and definitely not the rule.

It will indeed snap the rocker arms. These are deliberately made weak so as to act as a type of "Fuse" if you like, to prevent the valves from bending. Just remove top cover and replace the arms. The big issue is the timing belt, as this drives the water pump, and the water pump swivels in an eccentric housing to tension the belt. It's always advisable to change the water pump, but the trouble is they can be seized in the engine block.

Hi guys just a little update, got the car brought back home, cam cover off. 3 broken rocker arms, put 3 x 2nd hand rockers arms in, new belt & kit, put the car in gear and slowly turned the wheel to make sure there was no valve/piston collision, that was ok so done a compression test, all cylinders were mint, turned the key and what do you know, started up first time, running sweet as a nut.

thanks for all the help guys, it was appreciated

Jimmy

So is the Subaru 8v boxer - I've been lucky with Honda's in the past and surprise surprise, the original FWD Cavalier. That wore its cam out long before the belt was due to snap!
John :)

So is the Subaru 8v boxer....

We do a lot of work for a local scooby dealer John and i've seen the hassle they have changing the belts on an Impreza, looks like all the rads had to be removed just to get at them!! :eek:
Ah well, at least the chain on my Saab looks good, even at 100k. ;)

The old Transit diesels are valve safe, believe the 2ltr pinto is too

Snapped the belt throw a new one on time it up and away you go :mrgreen:

So is the Subaru 8v boxer - I've been lucky with Honda's in the past and surprise surprise, the original FWD Cavalier. That wore its cam out long before the belt was due to snap!

MK 1 astra's were notorious for soft cam lobes but they would rattle on for ages before snapping in half :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back