Intermittent boiler failure-Glow worm Ultimate FF30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have been experiencing an intermittent failure on my Glowworm Ultimate FF30.

In a morning, the boiler comes on fine on the timer and all radiators get warm fine.
The timer then switches the boiler off after 3 hours and comes back on in the afternoon. It works for about an hour and then the fan and burner fail to light. The timer remains on. The water pump still works.
The next day, this repeats or sometimes works ok into the evening before failing.

My plumber has serviced the boiler and cleaned the pilot. Otherwise it seems fine.

We have reviewed the neon lights and 1 and 2 are lit which seems to indicate a pressure fault?
However, we have noticed something else while looking for the fault-when removing the cover, the fan came on. To me, this means a possible electrical fault? The burner did not come on.
Then today, the same happened as I waggled the thermostat/fuse controls and I did it again next to the air inlet (I think) and the burner lit.

My plumber is going to replace the pressure switch but im wondering if its something else?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why are you asking if your plumber is doing the work?

There is a plumber but he is unsure if the pressure switch would fix it and said if its not that, we'll try something else. I just want to avoid one thing after another and the associated costs and then end up getting a new system anyway. Hes a good guy ive used for plumbing for years but has only qualified for gas this year so just thought id try here for some ideas. Its the fact I can tap the fuse box and it comes on makes me curious about it. Its still on this evening from doing this.

Sponsored Links
I can't prove otherwise. It's odd though, how so may people employ someone for a repair and are happy to ask questions on their behalf and then pay for the fitter's trial & error with no guarantee of success.

In my experience, the brief has always been 'fix it now or FO and sing for your money'.

There is a plumber but he is unsure if the pressure switch would fix it and said if its not that, we'll try something else.

I just want to avoid one thing after another and the associated costs and then end up getting a new system anyway. Hes a good guy ive used for plumbing for years but has only qualified for gas this year so just thought id try here for some ideas. Its the fact I can tap the fuse box and it comes on makes me curious about it. Its still on this evening from doing this.

Surely if he is fixing boilers then its his responsibility to diagnose the fault and then fix it?

Why do you think that he is a "good guy" if he is charging you for parts not required to fix the fault?

I don't do that. Perhaps that makes me a "better guy" ?

I find it interesting that people are more intetested in why im asking rather than actually answering my query. What a pity. I am asking as I im curious to know the cause and as a person with some sense, I want to do what I can to help solve the problem and possibly save some money having not found this particular isuue from reading a few websites.. I see nothing wrong with that.
No more replies needed thank you unless anyone can offer any insight to the original problem.

It's because you've given details of where you have tampered within the combustion chamber. Just as you find it interesting, I find it interesting how so many people want to suddenly become conversant in gas boiler repairs, only after a problem and only to avoid paying someone competent, regardless of the safety risk.

Unless there is an expert at both ends of the phone or web, There is no substitute for attending the appliance to diagnose a fault. If there were we'd save a fortune in travel and make a fortune fixing faults for set fees with literally no overheads.

There are so many plumbing tasks around the home where the genuine DIY enthusiast can obtain advice, get satisfaction from doing a good job, and save money. Sadly they seem to be ever more rare on this forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back