Intermittent lockout on Baxi Barcelona boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 9 year-old Baxi Barcelona which has developed an intermittent problem over the last few weeks.

Despite the reputation that the Barcelona seems to attract, mine has been absolutely reliable. :eek: :eek: The only problem I've had was caused by a blocked condensate trap. Apart from that it's been fine.... until now.

As I say, the problem is intermittent. It's going into ignition lockout (the red light is on and isn't flashing). Normally I just turn the boiler control off and back on and it cycles up fine. Only once have I seen what happens when it goes into lockout - the fan starts, there's a clicking sequence that normally precedes the 'whoomp' when it lights, but in this case there's no ignition. The fan continues to run and the clicking sequence is repeated four or five times before the lockout light comes on and the fan stops.

As the problem is intermittent what's the most likely cause? I suppose the favourite has to be the spark probe or the ignition pcb.

As the probe is a cheap part I'm almost inclined to just go ahead and replace it anyway...

I doubt the spark gap has ever been checked in the 9-year life of the boiler. Does it normally need to be adjusted as the boiler gets older? The guys that 'service' it don't seem to do anything other than measure the flue combustion products and try to sell me CO monitors and additional services!

So what's the likely cause of the problem? Does the ignition pcb ever give rise to an intermittent fault like this, or is it far more likely to be the probes?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Mike

Sponsored Links
I would expect that it only needs a proper service by someone prepared to work on your boiler.

Merely measuring at the flue is only a safety check.

Finding someone who will service it properly is going to be very difficult if we cannot make a recomendation and you have not quoted your location!

You may be better asking the manufacturers if they can service it.

Tony

The guys that 'service' it don't seem to do anything other than measure the flue combustion products and try to sell me CO monitors and additional services!

BG?

When was it last done?

There are some simple tests that need to be done
Replacing/resetting the electrodes might be a good start

The guys that 'service' it don't seem to do anything other than measure the flue combustion products and try to sell me CO monitors and additional services!
BG?

When was it last done?

There are some simple tests that need to be done
Replacing/resetting the electrodes might be a good start
Absolutely right - it was BG. It was last 'serviced' three or four months ago. As far as I'm aware they never do anything resembling a service. They measure the combustion products and check the gas rate. Despite the fact that this is supposed to be a central heating system service, they don't even check the concentration of inhibitor in the primary circuit.

They've never taken the cover off the combustion chamber. In the past I've asked them if why they don't and the reply is always along the lines of "it's better not to touch them if they're working".

While trawling other threads for answers I came across a post from someone who had replaced the combustion chamber seals 20 times. Mine have never been touched in 9 years, so maybe there is something in what BG say?

I must admit that I've never looked beyond having it maintained by BG. The only reason I haven't yet called them in to sort out the ignition lockout problem is because it's so intermittent - it can be several days between occurrences.

In case anyone knows any really good Corgi-registered heating engineers in my area, I'm in Bedfordshire - about half way between Bedford and Luton.

Mike

Sponsored Links
So your paying a monthly payment to BG to maintain your system then when something isn't right your going to call out a independent, not get BG to do it for free? strange :confused:

So your paying a monthly payment to BG to maintain your system then when something isn't right your going to call out a independent, not get BG to do it for free? strange :confused:
Not at all! ;)

I was just looking for guidance as to what's the likely cause of the problem.

If I call out BG I'll still have to pay them - it's not an 'everything covered' type of contract and, given the intermittent nature of the problem I'm assuming it may take more than one visit.

I was asking about other Corgi heating engineers in the area because my BG contract is up for renewal soon.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back