Internal gas pipework 3"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new so not sure whether this is appropriate - so go easy if not ;) but I'd like to get the feedback from some of the experienced gas engineers that might be on here.

For my sins I am a governor at a large school and the gas pipework that serves the main kitchen appliances is being renewed. We've been advised that due to the total potential load (circa 280kW) the new pipework will need to be much larger that the existing if sized correctly.

We're trying to reduce overall load but the caterers want to retain as much equipment as possible so at present it looks as though we'll need 3" pipework for at least a chunk of the run (about 30m in total with say 6 x 90 elbows) run exposed, mainly at high level before then dropping down to run behind the appliances.

I'm told there are options on the pipework material chosen but that the pipework must be welded or pressfit type either copper / stainless steel at that size.

I wondered whether anyone who had experience of this type of pipework had any opinions of what is good / bad / ugly etc.

Many thanks
Texas

Sponsored Links
Press will be significantly quicker to install, but will be more expensive in materials, so it depends where your priorities lie. Assuming pressed stainless steel, pipe is about £350 for a 6m length of 3", couplers are about £100 each and elbows about £150 each. A 76mm tee is £300 plus whatever reducers are needed to get it down to the right size for the drops to appliances. By contrast, welded steel is about £250 for 6m and fittings are £10-20 each, but it's going to be a lot more work to put it together.

Are you not allowed to use malleable iron any more? My first job after leaving school, Plumber's mate. Job was putting 2x 2.5" black iron pipes in a trench from meter cupboard to main building, all had to be wrapped in Denso tape. (I was plastered.)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back