Internal mitre skirting without removing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I’m about to remove skirtings in an alcove to fit some built in cabinets & bookshelves. To achieve the built in look I’m hoping to bring the existing skirting forward to the front of the cabinets as a plinth. To do this I will need a new internal corner where the skirting meets the wall, ~310mm forward from where it does currently.

Is there a way to cut a 45• internal corner on the skirting attached to the wall without removing it?

I am really hopeful there is as every skirting in this old 1910s house pulls a tonne of plaster off with it due to the cut nails that have been used.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Matthew

Sponsored Links
Is there a way to cut a 45• internal corner on the skirting attached to the wall without removing it?

A multitool, would be the best option.

Another option, would be to not touch the fixed part at all, but to cut a profile to fit, on the other part. Mark up the end to match, from a spare section, then cut it with something like a fretsaw.

Last edited:
As above, scribe the new skirting to meet the old.

To do it, you cut a 45 degree internal mitre on the new skirting. Rub a soft pencil over the edge so that you can see the profile more clearly and then use a coping saw to follow the edge.

Sponsored Links
i would 100% leave it all in situ and scribe as you will be the best ever friend to the person who wants to restore the to the original featutes----this off course could be you several years on ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back