Internal stud wall vcl needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My next project is doing the stud work internal walls in my new build. I'm thinking of using 3x2 or 4x2 and filling the cavity with Celotex. Couple of questions.

The building is of blockwork cavity construction with celotex insulation within the blockwork cavity.

Internal partitions;

1. Do I need a VCL? ie polythene type sheet stapled to the stud work? and if so do I have to do this both sides?

2. Do I need to use slightly smaller celotex to allow for an air gap inside the stud work and if so should this gap be the same both sides so not touching the plaster work. Ive seen pictures and videos where this is flush to the stud work.

3. Where the internal stud partition meets an external wall do I need to use some dpc material as a vapour barrier between the wood of the stud upright and the blockwork wall?

4. What is the most advisable size wood to use. The walls are single height floor to ceiling so I've assumed 2x3. And suitable thickness celotex to fill.

External walls.

1. Can I dot and dab plasterboard on or do I need to stud and VCL this too?

Sponsored Links
My friends brand new house has dot & dab plasterboard direct onto the internal block work with no kind of barrier.

id read that the foil on Kingspan is a vapour barrier... might be anecdotal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back