Internal Wall Vent - Can I remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just moved into a new house, built about 1940 ish. In two if the bedrooms there are large grills (they measure about 12 inches square) that cover a vented opening into the cavity wall. The other side of the cavity is a large airbrick.

My question is, do I need the vent / grill on the inside wall? My wife is freaking out about spider getting in (haha) or can I cover it?

Ive attached a couple of pictures to show more.

Sponsored Links
My question is, do I need the vent / grill on the inside wall? My wife is freaking out about spider getting in (haha) or can I cover it?

Well I don't think there is any regulation to say you can't cover it. However when considering changing things like vents you need to look at the bigger picture.

Maybe your windows have been replaced at some time with modern well sealed double glazed units. But have they got any vents in the frames?

One of the problems with old houses is that we seal them up, usually for energy saving reasons and raise levels of humidity inside leading to condensation issues. It is commonly accepted that heating and ventilation together will help minimise condensation. So while you can seal up the vents how else is the room going to be ventilated? That is the risk so keep it in mind.

You should consider if the vents served any specific purpose such as free air ventilation for fires and other combustion apparatus. But that is very unlikely in a bedroom

Thanks Blagard, good thoughts. Ill take a closer look at the sealed units when im there later.

Interestingly previous houses have been condensation free despite all the hot air that comes from my wife.....

Maybe I could reduce the size of them a little. Theres certainly no other combustion apparatus in the 2 bedrooms.

Thanks again

In those days, it used to be a requirement that any room without a fireplace and flue had an air brick to an external wall.
Those do look rather big, though.
But, as Blagard, you do need some ventilation - perhaps smaller and neater vents?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony, yes they have a certain prison cell look to them!

Im sure I can tidy them up.

Thanks for the advice

I would seal the vents temporarily with clingflim just for the winter. You might end up with mold spots on the ceiling and walls. Do any permanent work in the spring.

I had one that felt like it let the gales right through the house.
I stuck an icecream container in behind the grate to block it 90% - block the gales, but still have _some_ airflow.

Hang on, this now sounds like Bluepeter with a combination of Ice Cream containers and cling film... I might end up with a new pen holder and photoframe as well!

However, thanks for all the thoughts some further testing is in order!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back