Is a Double socket sufficient?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im purchasing an electric oven and a seperate gas hob soon, is a double socket outlet from the kitchen ring main ok for a 13amp oven and 3amp hob?

there is no seperate cooker wiring.

Sponsored Links
Fine for the hob, what is the wattage of the oven. If it is a single cavity and no more that 3000watts then a 13amp plug should be fine.

Is the socket in a cupboard. If so, personally I would like to see a DP isolator above the worktop for emergency isolation:cool:

Its from b n q all the info it gives is 13amp??

Sponsored Links
If it is supplied with a 13A plug I can't see their being a problem, the hob supply will only likely be for the ignitor so will take next to nothing.

Is the socket in a cupboard. If so, personally I would like to see a DP isolator above the worktop for emergency isolation:cool:

as the socket is part of the ring main will this not isolate allof the kitchen? :eek:

while im at it, is it against any laws to have the spur for the cooker extractor fan down inside a cupboard with a flex buried up the wall to the hood?

What I have done in my kitchen is make the under cupboard socket a spur off the ring above the worktop and putting a DP isolator in-line. (Don't want to be pulling out junk to kill the supply)

If you have a socket in the cupboard already on the ring then it would probably be too much work to put an isolator in for it.

as the socket is part of the ring main will this not isolate allof the kitchen? :eek:

No, you must take the ring final circuit into the supply terminals on the FCU, and then connect your oven outlet to the load terminals

If you manage to connect the FCU in series with the ring, then it'll isolate precisly nothing, but introduce a fault onto the circuit :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back