Is Dulux smooth trade masonry paint worth £10 per tin more?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our decorator gave us a price excluding the cost of the materials which he is billing us at cost, supposedly at a discount. We were surprised at the price of the Dulux 5 litre Trade smooth masonry paint: £28.61 plus VAT from a Dulux decorator centre (with their bill). I can buy 5 litres of Dulux non-trade masonry paint from our local hardware store for £18.49 inc. VAT. What makes the trade version worth so much more? Will it last longer or is it easier to apply, i.e. is the benefit for the decorator rather than ourselves?

Sponsored Links
Our decorator gave us a price excluding the cost of the materials which he is billing us at cost, supposedly at a discount. We were surprised at the price of the Dulux 5 litre Trade smooth masonry paint: £28.61 plus VAT from a Dulux decorator centre (with their bill). I can buy 5 litres of Dulux non-trade masonry paint from our local hardware store for £18.49 inc. VAT. What makes the trade version worth so much more? Will it last longer or is it easier to apply, i.e. is the benefit for the decorator rather than ourselves?

They're both 15 years protection. Trade is down as covering 14-16m2/litres and retail is down as covering 15m2/litres.
Trade is a bit thicker.. thus sometimes, I repeat sometimes it can cover in 1 coat.
I've said it before and I'll say it again , Trade paint causes more confusion than anything else, you're a good example, because you're confused. I can't think of another product, whereby you pay more for something when buying it Trade than buying it retail.

So.... go to your local hardware store and buy the retail paint you require.
This will get your job done and your decorator wont have to use his petrol running round for you and giving it you at cost and costing him money (imagine a plumber or electician doing that :LOL: )

Then... get a chair and sit outside and watch him apply it, checking that he washes any cobwebs off and allows it to fully dry before he applies 2 full coats, as you would yourself, just to make sure that you're impressed with his preparation as it may not be a patch on your own work .
You could even take pictures of it in stages, just to make sure that everything's going to plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back