Is Electric Underfloor Heating notifiable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I looked into this a couple of years ago it was notifiable under Part P.

Checking the updated rules it seems to state that it is not notifiable "unless a new circuit is required".

Am I right in assuming this is a new circuit from the consumer unit and running a fused spur off an existing ring for Electric Underfloor heating is not notifiable?

Sponsored Links
Part P it would seem does not use the same definitions as BS 7671 and it would seem that in the main a FCU although under BS 7671 produces a new circuit under Part P it is not counted as one.

But there is more than new circuit which needs notifying and it varies principality or country to country or principality as to what is notifiable.

One can argue most of the Part P rules it is easy to poke holes in the regulations but one thing is very plain you must follow some thing like BS 7671 for it to comply.

Because of the test equipment required it is unlikely any DIY work will comply. If it's not DIY work then one has to consider insurance and it would be foolhardy to do domestic electrical work without being a member of one of the schemes.

You clearly want us to say yes go ahead but without all the info sorry its up to you to read Part P and make up your own mind.

Personally I can see very few situations where it would have been notifiable but is not now, so likely if it was notifiable before then likely it still is now.

You clearly want us to say yes go ahead but without all the info sorry its up to you to read Part P and make up your own mind.
Reading that won't help him at all, because Part P has nothing to do with, and says nothing about, notification.

This is Part P:

Personally I can see very few situations where it would have been notifiable but is not now, so likely if it was notifiable before then likely it still is now.
I don't really understand that (in England). The 2013 changes (in England) resulted in countless previously notifiable things becoming non-notifiable. Prior to April 2013, there was just a moderate handful of things which were not notifiable. After the changes, we were left with just three types of work which are notifiable.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Indeed, the earlier iterations defined the following as notifiable "special" locations

Table 2: Special locations and installations (a)
Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin
Swimming pools or paddling pools
Hot air saunas
Electric floor or ceiling heating systems
Garden lighting or power installations
Solar photovoltaic (PV) power supply systems
Small scale generators such as microCHP units
Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets

So underfloor heating was notifiable in any room.
Not any more, regrettably :(

Do remember I live in Wales. Which is part of the United Kingdom. Since poster does not give location we can't really answer him.
I realise that, which is why I stressed that I was talking about England. However, since you wrote "I can see very few situations where it would have been notifiable but is not now", I assumed that you must also have been talking about England - since, as I need not tell you, the rules regarding notification have never yet changed in Wales. Hence anything which was ever notifiable in Wales must still be notifiable in Wales.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies, to answer location I am in England.

So based on the responses UFH is not notifiable.

Have run the fused spur myself but was planning to get certified Electrician to sign it off and do the Part P notification but checking what needs to be done or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back