Is it dying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a 6' high, 2' diameter conifer in my garden which has suddenly developed random brown patches. They have appeared in the last 2 weeks or so, are quickly getting bigger and are even on some of the new foliage at the very top. About 1' around the very base has been drying up since last year, and has now all but died. If I part the foliage, the old growth at the centre of the tree is dry and dead.

I've looked online and many people describe exactly the same problem, but there are no solutions - only suggestions that it could be under-watered (not that), over-trimmed (nor that), or some sort of aphid (can't see anything).

Can't remember the name of it but it is quite a bright, yellowy-green colour with foliage that smells of lemon when touched.

Wish I had a working camera so I could post a pic or 2.

Does anyone here have any idea what is causing it and any relevant solutions? Hope so! :(

Sponsored Links
Cheers studips :)

Remembered it is called cupressus 'wilma' and the symptoms certainly appear to be the same.
Having read that there are no recommended fungicides available for amateur gardeners, I can now understand why I haven't been able to find a cure.

Oh well, I'll see if I can get it to recover over the summer but if not: TIMBER!! :cry:

Perhaps cupressus 'fred' would be a bit stronger. :LOL:

Hi there, yes hate to be the bringer of bad news but it sounds like you have a virus infection on your conifer.
I did know the name but it escapes me...its transmitted by an aphid which infects the tree while feeding on the tree sap.
I have a long conifer hedge which was a picture till last September, then it started going brown.
I contacted RHS who told me that this country wide aphid attack has been the worst they can remember.
They advise spraying with a good systemic spray but to be honest its really game over!
Its a shame as my hedge was a stunner, now its looking grim!

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd give an update on the situation.

After cutting out the 'dead' bits and all the dead stuff from around the base a few months back, the conifer has now recovered beautifully. The little bald parts where I cut away have all but filled in and the tree has grown by at least 1' over the 'summer'. There is not a spot of brown to be seen and area at the base where more drastic cutting was made is now virtually hidden by another shrub.

It seems it wasn't a lost cause after all and not a single chemical was required - I'm well chuffed!

Cheers,
mrH :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back