Is it ok to get council in after paying off private?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanting to draw a line under work done by conversion company and start afresh with new builder. They wouldn't complete work unless we went with their private inspector. Having had various problems - which may not be that bad but things have cropped up throughout the job lot - should I play safe and get a council inspector - wonder what the politics are etc. One unhappy mum who wished she'd done her research more. :cry:

Sponsored Links
There wont be a problem, however I can't see how work has started without the involvement of a Building Control Officer right from the start?

Or are you saying that certain work has been either completed and signed off already and new work is to start, or the previous work did not require a BCO?

I don't think that you can get a council BCO involved in work already subject to an approved inspector application.

There wont be a problem, however I can't see how work has started without the involvement of a Building Control Officer right from the start?

Or are you saying that certain work has been either completed and signed off already and new work is to start, or the previous work did not require a BCO?

I don't think that you can get a council BCO involved in work already subject to an approved inspector application.

Yet to get the private inspector in to sign off just the loft conversion. There's loads of other work to do round the house for which I think I should get a builder to project manage with a council inspector?. Private BCO has been paid because they want the bill paid before they sign it off otherwise their financial dept start hounding you..... I will call the private BCO as I suspect he will just walk in and sign it off because they are only bothered about the structure (so they tell me) and not the wiring etc. I really wish I had done my homework! :rolleyes: As I have paid the private BCO I wonder if I could just sack 'em off anyway. They have been as much use as a chocolate fireguard. They sent one that didn't even notice the string hadn't been cut on the loft stairs!!

Sponsored Links
You mention the string on the staircase not being cut, and other jobs to be done around the house, but are you overestimating what building inspectors do, private or LABC.

Except for items such as thermal insulation, they only look at work from a health and safety aspect; they don't necessarily consider quality of workmanship or finish.

GeorgeP;

I note where you are located. Without going into any detail, I think I can understand why your original builders might prefer to go private, if they work regularly in the area.

Let me put it this way; I would rather have dress-making pins pushed under my finger nails than go with some LABC inspectors.

For the last year or so, I have advised, begged, pleaded with clients to go private rather than use LABC. Unfortunately, I can say no more!

Good luck with your project.

I think the error here is not employing somebody to look after the works from your point of view - a surveyor or similar. As tony says, building inspectors only consider a fairly limited range of things and they aren't interested in general workmanship and finish. And it doesn't matter if they are private or local authority. Your best option now might be to get somebody in to look for you and advise you how to proceed. A chartered surveyor will charge you about £250 for an inspection and brief report. Try the RICS 'find a surveyor' site website.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back