Is my 1st floor stud wall supporting my trusses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We've just moved into a new house needing some renovating. I've found some useful tips on here but now have a question, if anyone can help

I'm about to remove a 1st floor studio wall to alter the room sizes... I'm fairly sure it's not helping to support the roof trusses, but I'm not happy with the word 'fairly'!

It was built in 2004 and has good solid 5m trusses... the wall I want to remove is about centre and running opposite to the trusses.
Reliable confirmation that these are self supporting at the wall plates would be helpful. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20231121_134426.jpg
    20231121_134426.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
The stud wall will just be a separation panel / room divider. If you are nervous build your new wall before taking the old one down.

I did think about doing that..... but wanted to try re-use the wood as its still a relatively recent build - less then 20 yrs.....guess I can't have it both ways. Thanks

At the top center of the truss you will see a data tag. That tag holds the manufacturers data on that truss. Why no give them a ring and they can confirm to you that your trusses are self supporting.

Sponsored Links
All trusses by their nature, are self-supporting across their span. However the stud wall may be providing some adventitious support to the bottom chord (the ceiling) which means that whilst the wall is not supporting, if removed the ceiling may flex slightly and cause plaster cracking. May, not will

Thanks.... yes, that's my concern...I'll just put the new stud wall in 1st before taking out the original.... its no massive issue. Just a bit more to spend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back