Is my boiler about to explode?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vaillant TurboMax 28 combi

When the CH is on, the pressure goes up to about 2.8 bar. When things are dormant the pressure is still above the recommended operating thresholds.

Is there an easy way to reduce this pressure a bit? Can I just bleed one of the radiators for a bit?

What happens if it gets to 3 bar? (seems to be the max dial limit).

Sponsored Links
Cold pressure should be 1 bar. Let some water out of a drain valve to get it down to this.
Make sure the filling valve is off.

When the heating is on you should get a small increase in pressure but if it starts ring over 2 bar then you have a problem.
Pressure vessel may need attention and you should seek a corgi engineer to rectify. :D

if you reduce the pressure you will find that you will have 0 bar when the boiler is cold

check that the filling loop is not letting by (ie remove the silver hose and see if water runs) if not then your expansion vessel is see gone. check on vaillants website to see if you can chuck in an external pressure vessel ( I think you can an 8 litre one but check as i am not 100% sure) on

it wont explode the pressure relief valve will open and let the water out you will just end up repressurizing it daily

I'm with bahco generally on this one, not saying corgiman is wrong because he is right to advise you to remove the filling loop and observe for water passing.

However it seems more sensible to remove a little fluid (by bleeding if it suits you) to reduce the pressure to a lower value. Do this with the system COLD though, final pressure depends upon the layout of you floors, and which one your boiler is on, but as said by bahco 1 bar (cold) usually satisfies 95% of cases.

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
you can chuck in an external pressure vessel
This is always an option, on any sealed system boiler. 8 litres capacity will cover most systems. Anyway it's much cheaper to do this than replace the original, especially when boiler has to be taken off wall to change it.

But before you go that far, it may only be necessary to recharge the expansion vessel - it should have a precharge pressure of I think around 0.8 bar, which you measure with a "tyre" gauge on the vessel schrader valve, while the system pressure is zero.

You may also have some air in the system, so drop the pressure to 1.5 bar cold and then go and bleed all the rads.

Mike

thanks for the replies guys. The filling loop was still on a small amount. I drained using pressure relief in the end.

Ta

QUIte - better keep checking it. If it keeps dripping, you need a new one!

Hey Gasman - a good tip..if only the installation plumber had thought of that when he recommended it to me! he did sound in a rush though.

I will use the lowest drain cock from now on.

WHy is it bad to use pressure relief? Out of interest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back