Is My Cement Mixer Supposed To Sound Like This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone,

I have titled the thread as urgent because I'm in desperate need of screeding and I can't screed until I know my cement is working properly.

Please just take a listen to my audio file (MP3) and if someone can just tell me if I should take the motor box apart to have a look or if that's normal, then I would really appreciate it. I'm pretty certain I have assembled it all correctly, but just wasn't expecting it to sound the way it does. Perhaps it is because it has not yet been loaded with mortar? Surely it shouldn't sound like this although it does say on the side something about decibels :confused: :confused:.

Please listen here:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/5/25/35832/Cement Mixer.mp3

Here is the cement mixer by the way which I had to assemble myself over 12 continual hours :eek::

MM050210071IC.jpg

Thank you.

So in other words, are all cement mixers supposed to sound like this?

Sponsored Links
Many years ago I bought a Belle mixer. Really quiet then, really quiet now. It's about 20 years old. Im afraid yours seems to have something like a death rattle.

Im afraid yours seems to have something like a death rattle.

Thanks for your reply oilman. Yea, I agree too. I will take the outer cover off and check the internal machinery. Perhaps I have made a mistake. The only way to resolve this is to first trace the source of the noise. I just hope to God that the mixer doesn't have a faulty engine.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
the drum should have little or no play in it it should only rotate in the two designed directions
should be smooth jerk free operation in a circular motion

i think you first mistake may have been to run it once you heard the noise
would you drive a car with an unusual noise!!!! :cry:

but well done for asking and lets hope you[we]can sort it :D :D ;)

Hi everyone, thanks very much for your replies.

The problem is the drum and the cog wheel. I have observed the ridges in the underneath part of the drum and the part where it makes this noise is where signs of paint scrapeage has occurred, so it seems like the teeth aren't fully lined up with the ridges. I have sent an email to the site I bought it from (not sure if I can state which site on here). I don't know what they can do though. I'm really annoyed as I've spent all that time assembling the damn thing and if it is replaced, I have to wait for delivery, meanwhile disassemble the old unit and assemble the new one when it arrives :eek: :cry:. Why couldn't they test the mixer first before dispatch??! Just listened to the MP3 again and there is no way by my own judgement that that mixer sounds like every other mixer. It sounds like a car that is choking and the bottom scraping along the pavement or something. I'd have a headache if I had to work with that all day!

Anyway, I'll keep you informed; just waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully will be tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks again everyone.

i think you first mistake may have been to run it once you heard the noise

Yea, but I had to run it to hear the noise :confused:.

but well done for asking and lets hope you[w]can sort it

lol lets hope the company can sort it more like ;). I really don't think there is anything I can do.

have a look and see if theres any adjustment anywhere like extra washers or slotted holes !!!

go through the assembly instructions again and check every washer is in the right place and every screw or bolt is the right length and that all the components line up properly!!!!

i was suggesting that you had to start it up again to record it :D :D :D ;)

would i be right in thinking you bought it on a vat free day :D ;)

tell them you want a refund ythen go buy a belle mixer from some-one local (easy to take it back if a problem))

your very well covered for postal purchases. It should be very quiet when running. Its not, its faulty and will wear out very quickly i would imagine. Its therefore not fit for the purpose, get a refund and go to a local builders merchant, theyll normally do a deal on them. Got mine cheaper there than fleabay or any other place on the net.

Hi everyone,

Sorry, I've not been intouch; been exchanging emails between technical support of machinemart. Apparently, the noise is about normal for the Clarke CCM125C, but I'm not convinced :confused: so I'm going to have a listen to the instore model of the Clarke mixer to compare with mine. I asked to upgrade to Belle minimix (only costs an extra £50) if it's definitely a fault. It's a good robust product, just a shame about the grinding noise. I believe that the cogwheel is lifting the drum every 360* due to the holes being slightly smaller and the surrounds of the holes being slightly bigger for the teeth and the drum is being dropped back to it's original position, thus creating this grinding sound. I wouldn't usually mind, but it's the fact that I have paid for this using my birthday money and it could raise potential problems with sales if ever I decide to sell this product in the future.

Anyway, I will let you all know what is going to happen at the weekend. Oh, I also have a short video of the product in operation which I will be posting up in a few weeks in this thread.

Again, thanks for all of your support and sound advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back