Is my Diverter Valve off to the boiler parts heaven?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

Recently my boiler (Turbomax Pro) has been making an horrific sound when Hot water is running - started off like a grinding noise for the first 20 seconds then it would vanish.
Hot water always worked fine though.

Now its making a sound that can only be described as a jet plane taking off!

So this morning i tested with the central heating, and much to my suprise the noise was gone, so as the heating was still on i called for hot water, the boiler clicked a bit and hot water came and so did the jet plane.

Water off, CH on and a feignt noise (the noise i would say i started out with origianlly a few weeks back.

Water back on and jet plane back.

Noticed also aswell that when the hot water is turned on with the heating on the Heating light doesnt go out (im sure it used too when it was working normally???)
With the heating controls calling for heat but then the hot water turned on am i right in thinking the heating light should go out?

When heating and hot water both running all ligths are on and the hot water runs hot.

When heating on on its own the rads get warm as they should. But the hot water is red hot as soon as the hot tap is turned on also!

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t399/cfloss17/20120705_070247.jpg

I will see if i can record the sounds and upload them aswell.

Does it sound like the DV has had its day?

Sponsored Links
No problem with DV. Sounds like there is a blockage/debris in the main heat exchanger and quite possibly in the domestic plate heat exchanger too. The higher heat input while using DHW coupled with the restriction in the domestic HEX brings out the ketting noise.

A chemical flush of the boiler may well cure it, but be prepared to replace heat exchangers at worse. The LEDs are fine.

No problem with DV. Sounds like there is a blockage/debris in the main heat exchanger and quite possibly in the domestic plate heat exchanger too. The higher heat input while using DHW coupled with the restriction in the domestic HEX brings out the ketting noise.

A chemical flush of the boiler may well cure it, but be prepared to replace heat exchangers at worse. The LEDs are fine.

Is the chemical flush something i can do with Sentinal products? Or does it need the big guys around?

I have a spare plate heat exchanger kicking about that was going cheap on the auction site that i snapped up.

Dont have a primary heat exchanger though. :(

Sponsored Links
I'd change the plate heat exchanger if you've got a new spare, that will take that out of the equation. The boiler can then be treated with Sentinel X800, but it's a job for a professional if you are a novice I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back