Is my plumber incompetent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved house and the plumbing system has been a night mare. When we moved in the water was off and when the wife turned it on within a minute or two it started coming out of the overflow. So during the move we turned the water on and off for a couple of days. We called a plumber recommended to us who kindly came to us on the 3rd day and fixed the issue after working out that the system had been drained down and the drain cock left open, so problem 1 solved. Problem 2. Hot water and central heating was supplied by a back boiler which would not ignite so he pulled it out and basically condemned it. We agreed to a new system going in at a cost of £5000. All well and then got hit by another unrelated bill. So we had just the boiler replaced. When the fitment took place and the filling of the system some bleed valves were seized so the radiators are air locked. Then two days later a connection on one radiator failed spraying hot caustic water over the lounge. So I shut the system down and called him out. He isolated it and came back the following day claiming British Gas had fouled up when fitting the radiator. There could be something in this as the olive was triangular as opposed to being semi circular. However this didn't ring true with me as to me it depends on the fittings used. Anyway, plumber came back had a look and said he needed a special part, isolated the radiator and said he would order it. 5 days later I get a text that he has booked us in to repair with the spare part then on the day he says he cannot obtain it. I msg him that from my box of bits I have something that would work but as is his job don't want to touch it but he is welcome to look at my suggestion.
1. I think this "engineer" underestimated the job.
2. Is it reasonable to expect an experienced engineer to pressure test the system and check bleed valves knowing it's an old system prior to filling.
3. Given that he didn't pressure test the system and a union burst within 48 hours is a call out charge reasonable even though he didn't really do any more than I did by turning the system off? All he really did was confirm the fault and why. He could have isolated the radiator but didn't and now want's another £150 for the call out and non existent repair.
I hope I'm not being too harsh with my criticism but I'm an engineer myself though in a very different field but at times not too disimmilar.

Sponsored Links
What exactly was the £ 5000 " new system" ,as it would appear not to include new radiators ??
What did B/ Gas fit ,and what was so called engineers role ?

Always a risk when you pressurise an existing open vented system, it'll find the weak spots. He should have warned you of the risk before starting work in my opinion, to cover his backside if nothing else. I'd also have expected some kind of survey of whats already there, quick glance at the radiators often tells you all you need to know about their condition, and again, a disclaimer issued, if parts were found to be unserviceable/worn out or otherwise beyond repair.

Agreed he did suggest/recommend/quote a new system, but at the point where you said you couldn't afford it and would just have a new boiler, then he should have warned of the possible pitfalls ahead at that point. Possibly naivety on his behalf, he may have been better fitting a new boiler onto the existing system and keeping it Open Vented, but hat still wouldn't help with the knackered Rads.

Problem 2. Hot water and central heating was supplied by a back boiler which would not ignite so he pulled it out and basically condemned it

Condemning a back boiler is done for fun by those who have little knowledge of what it is. It is so basic, Uber reliable ( not that efficient but it is a belt, braces and suspenders thrown in reliability). Unless was leaking, have not encountered a back boiler that could not be repaired. BTW have even fixed a leaking back boiler.

Anyway, plumber came back had a look and said he needed a special part, isolated the radiator and said he would order it
Must be a magical part as any radiator will have standard connection. Valve replacement will in many cases resolve the issue.

Is you boiler manual Benchmark completed? What boiler did this guy instal? You could get Gas Safe to look at the installation for compliance. Was the system cleaned as muck and dirt in the system will cause issues down the line.

Did you get a written quote as to what was to be undertaken? Did you check his Gas Safe card for operational details?

Sponsored Links
What work did the plumber carry out and what work did BG carry out?

Old old compression/radiator valves used different sealing techniques. Some used a flaring ring (not an olive per sé) that when tightened flared the end of the pipe against the fitting, they were conical (triangular).

If he didn't caveat the install against leaks or bursts due to converting the sealed, in writing, then I'd see that as his responsibility as part of the install and not something to be charged for but I guess that could be subjective. I would always pressure test and check an old system fully to ensure integrity but I would still caveat it against leaks and burst and the old components. Checking the rads would be part of that.

Sounds like you had someone that wasn't very experienced in doing those types of system conversion, he probably knew the theory but lacked experience in what can occur when doing them.

Old old compression/radiator valves used different sealing techniques. Some used a flaring ring (not an olive per sé) that when tightened flared the end of the pipe against the fitting, they were conical (triangular).

If he didn't caveat the install against leaks or bursts due to converting the sealed, in writing, then I'd see that as his responsibility as part of the install and not something to be charged for but I guess that could be subjective. I would always pressure test and check an old system fully to ensure integrity but I would still caveat it against leaks and burst and the old components. Checking the rads would be part of that.

Sounds like you had someone that wasn't very experienced in doing those types of system conversion, he probably knew the theory but lacked experience in what can occur when doing them.

Forgot that fitting. One I encountered at the BB to combi replacement was the tool that formed the olive in the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back