Is render heatproof - or can it be made so?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've opened out a fireplace, and was hoping to have an open fire. However, the brickwork is so bad (it's sound, but looks terrible), it would need a rebuild.

I need to know that if I render the inside and base, will the render take the heat of a fire? If it doesn't, is there a heatproof coating (paint?) that can be applied?

Cheers..

Sponsored Links
You are probably looking at the brick opening. A fire generally has a precast heatproof fireback put in. You buy these ready made, either from a fireplace shop or a builders merchant. A coal merchant or a chimneysweep might know someone to supply

I was thinking of an 'open basket' type of fire - the opening is quite large

I have rendered out fireplace openings that have had solid fuel and wood burning stoves fitted with no problems. Dont think render will stand up to the direct heat of a fire against it but it will probably be alright in a basket in the centre of the opening if the flames arnt in direct contact with the render.

Sponsored Links
castle do a high aluminia cement which will take the heat i used it before but be careful of dust from it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back