Is screeding an extension floor a DIY job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got about 19 sq M to screed to a depth of approx 65mm and based on quotes of £250 (labour only) I am thinking of doing it myself, as I've already done everything else. My question is, is this a straightforward job, i.e get the levels/screeds right, mix the sharp sand, fibers, cement in a mixer, and lay, then smooth?

This was going to be my last job after the roof was on, but as the DPM is down (had to go under inside course of blockwork) I feel I need to protect this now with insulation and screed.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Screeders make it look easy but if you're not used to it I can tell you it's hard work. I built my own loft conversion (took the truss roof off, built up gables to add 1m height, completely new roof with ensuite. And then built a ground floor extension just under 18m². I boarded and skimmed all the ceiling and with a mate did all the dry lining and the majority of the skimming.) I did more or less everything myself and me and my 15yr old boy screeded the floor with readymix screed. I can't quite put my finger on what it is about it but it was without doubt the most challenging job and the one thing that, if I do it again, I will be getting a screeder in.

Would I make a decent job of it. Very doubtful.
Would finish be good enough for carpet to go over. Possibly.
Would finish be good enough for Karndean to go over. No.
Would I get it out of the mixer to a consistency ready to lay. Very much doubt it.
If you are only using half bag mixer, unless you are well used to working with sand and cement, you will ball the sand and cement and not have an even mix. The right mix is the key to laying screeds, plus doing five or six hundred metres learning the best way to lay deadman, rule of and rub in.
£250.00 is high for 19M2. Farm around £150.00 to £180 is about right for cash in hand.
Can not understand what you mean about your DPM. This should be under your oversite concrete, not above it.. Sorry to be negative, only being truthful..
old un.

Sponsored Links
Screeding is tough work and tiring. It needs to be tackle with confidence.

Getting the mix correct is crucial and tricky.

Working the muck takes some skill as it compresses as you trowel it or poly-float it.

Be prepared for a tough day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back