Is temporary nature (>28 days) a material consideration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm a nearly planning professional (as in I studied planning for a masters some years back, but ended up getting a job in a related but different field).

The company I work for is putting on a Christmas event in Bournemouth's lower gardens. It's a light festival event and many of the elements are free to the public - these are mini lighting installations housed in 'pods' about the size of a beach hut. There are also paid for elements including an ice rink and santa's grotto. It's all designed to make Bournemouth town centre a nicer, more exciting place to visit at Christmas, and it was incredibly popular last year (its first year) and won several awards including Design Week's Best Exhibition Award.

As the event involves physical things which fall within the definition of development, and since they're in place for more than 28 days it requires planning permission. Bournemouth's lower gardens are also listed (and very beautiful).

Getting planning permission has been a challenge, and I'm simply wondering if there is any case law or regulations that state whether the temporary nature of a development (in this case an event), even where it is over 28 days, is a material consideration - or whether once it goes over 28 days it would need to pass exactly the same planning test as a completely permanent development.

It's more to satisfy my own curiosity that I'm asking, rather than professional advice - but I can't find anything which answers this question (or tells me if the question is at all relevant).

thanks in advance! And if you're anywhere near Bournemouth next Christmas, do come and see it- some of the pods will be amazing this year... (tried to add a couple of photos to the gallery section, not sure if they're going to show up)

Sponsored Links
It's all designed to make Bournemouth town centre a nicer, more exciting place to visit at Christmas,
If you say so. Personally when I see the words "installation" (in an artistic context) and "Santa's grotto" (in any context) I feel a bit unwell.

Getting planning permission has been a challenge
How did you get permission last year?

and I'm simply wondering if there is any case law or regulations that state whether the temporary nature of a development (in this case an event), even where it is over 28 days, is a material consideration - or whether once it goes over 28 days it would need to pass exactly the same planning test as a completely permanent development.
IHNI. It would seem reasonable that if 28 days is the cut-off, and if there's no legal basis on which demolition can be made a condition of PP that it would have to be assessed as if it was going to be permanent.

tried to add a couple of photos to the gallery section, not sure if they're going to show up
You need to do all 11 steps:

Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5
Step 6
Step 7
Step 8
Step 9
Step 10
Step 11

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back