Is there a height limit/building regs requirements for a detached garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above. There’s an alleyway that runs between the back of our garden and the back of the gardens in the next street. Rarely used except by one kid who carries out car repairs on his and his friends cars in the garage at the bottom of his garden. It’s approx 50m from their house but nearer to at least a dozen other houses than it is to his. Bit of an annoying prat - seems to think he can 'rev' any car better! Anyway, it’s always been a substantial sized garage to start with but today he and his dad (who I think is a builder) have taken the roof off and have made it approximately 2-3ft higher. Are there any rules/regs for the height or size of a detached flat roof garage? If so, I might have to get on to the planning department next week.

Sponsored Links
It fixes nothing and that’s 7,000 revs you're never going to see again!

Probably depends on whether the new height complies with permitted development rules or not

Sponsored Links
I’ll have to look that up then. Just a bit concerned he's doing this to get commercial vehicles in!

There's no way it'll comply with permitted development rules. The limit is 2.5m so unless it was for midgets before it'll now be well over. If its bigger than 30m2 then building regs will also apply. The problem is that the council is pretty toothless and don't really enforce minor breaches. Might be better off with a noise complaint. You'll need to keep a diary and nothing will happen quickly

I thought the PD rules state 2.5m high on flat roof and 4m high on a pitched roof if more than 2metres from a boundary?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back