Is this a possible Ripoff?

Sponsored Links
I know it might seem a bit expensive to go to British Gas but at least you have some readdress and at least know that you are not going to get ripped off.

you need to get out more if you think the above is true :confused:
:LOL: I`d want a red dress if I got ripped off for £1. let alone £5 :evil: I`ve just realise why I`ve not got ripped off . :idea: I`ve done my own maintenance on all my houses since 1980 - and serviced all my own cars from 1980 to 2008 when we bought a new one :LOL:

No doubt you would probably look nice in it too!:cool: As for 5.00 that was a figure of speech but the point being made anyone would feel betrayed if they were ripped off for just a 1.00. As for servicing everything me too as i don't trust garages builders or plumbers what ever.

I know it might seem a bit expensive to go to British Gas but at least you have some readdress and at least know that you are not going to get ripped off.

you
need to get out more if you think the above is true :confused:
Yes i do believe it!! Put it this way Mr or Mrs average out there would be much better off going to them than any smaller contractor any day. Only if that small contractor can be vouched for would i trust him.
No doubt British gas could take the P but if they did you have more chance of getting it put right than going to the local cowboy.

Sponsored Links
I see this all to often people being ripped off. That is why every person who feels they have been ripped off should make a complaint and get that complaint logged with the Trading Standards. If everyone complained and not allow these criminal practices then at least we might get some regulation in place.

You seem to have an odd view of trading standards departments. Most have too much to do to bother about most things people call them about.

What that firm has done is not a criminal activity. It may not be what we consider to be correct but it is not criminal.

I encounter many people who have been ripped off to a small extent. The consumers never want to make any complaint but just to get it fixed. There are far less fraudulent cases of boiler repairs now that a few years ago.

You seem to have a very vindictive attitude.

Tony

@Agile

I understand what you are saying about the cost/pricing issue, but at some point the law does feel able to become involved.

I recall seeing cases of builders/roofers being imprisoned for charging 25K for fixing a few tiles ( badly).

The OP does also have recourse if the engineer told her the original sensor replacement would fix the problem and then didn't, but that is undoubtedly the usual "I said/you said" dispute which would probably need court resolution.

In the situation that I was defending the rogue firm, which would never happen of course, then I would be able to demonstrate that much boiler fault finding is done by merely changing parts to "see" if that fixes the problem.

There is so much evidence of British Gas for example, as in my posting about the Vaillant 242 today, changing parts which dont fix the problem. When the industry leaders have to do that then its obviously common practice and the rip off firm were only doing what is commonplace.

As to their charges, they are obviously higher than average but not extortionately high so no criminal aspect there unlike the roofer who charged an old couple £4000 to replace a tile ( and used a bit of roofing felt ).

In any case, the lady could have asked what the charges were going to be before any parts were fitted. She could also have asked what charges would apply if the sensors did not fix the fault. All those are reasonable questions which we are sometimes asked.

If she was unhappy with any of the answers all she would have needed to pay was the £70 callout charge.

Its one of those annoying legal points that a callout charge IS still payable if they just arrive even if they then give a wrong diagnosis.

If I was representing the lady then I would argue that they did not make it clear to her that the replacement sensors would not necessarily fix the boiler so she reasonably expected that they, as boilers engineers, had correctly identified the fault and that payment is therefore NOT due as they had not repaired the boiler as requested.

I rather enjoy these courtroom arguments.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back