Is this a pump problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday morning the radiators were on timed, the ones upstairs were hot, but downstairs just luke warm. Turned the heating off and tried again at lunch time, and both upstairs and downstairs came on hot. Last night i bled all the radiators in the house then turned the heating on, there was a low humming noise coming from the bathroom cupboard where the pump is, but all radiators remained hot. This morning i had the heating on timed, the tops of the radiators are hot, but the bottom are cold, and there was a noise like a bag of spanners coming from a radiator downstairs so i switched the heating off, is this a pump problem? If so does it sound like it needs replaced?

Any advice is greatly received.

Sponsored Links
Could be a sludged up system.

Is the small tank in the loft full of water? (if you have one)

What colour is the water if you drain some off?

Water is a "normal" colour, if a little murky in the tank. I just checked the tank to make sure that there was enough water in there and the levels seem fine. Tried putting the heating back on, the pump was making a humming noise and there was an awful smell coming from it, so swiftly turned it off again. BTW it's a Myson Compact CP53 pump, at least 7 years old as we've lived here this long.

sounds like a blockage prob on the cold feed from expansion tank, which is making the pump run dry! (no water in pump) be careful as u could have damaged the pump.

Sponsored Links
Any ideas on how i can fix this? Or do i have to get a professional in? Rang round a few places today and some of the prices for them to just come out are over £60!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back