Is this post strong enough for my driveway gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have bolted a 5 foot high timber post to my brick wall of the house. There are 4 bolts, but the very top one is not gripping as much as I would like.

When I use a lot of force to try and move the post, there is a bit of wobble on the post. The gate i am having will be 7 foot wide, split in to 2 x 3.5 foot wide gates (5foot high)

I am concreting the other post in to the ground tomorrow.

Please advise

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can reinforce your post by using frame fixers.....no need to remove the post this way. You may as well get it as strong as is possible.
John :)

Screwfix and the like...basically you drill a hole through the timber, and then continue (with a masonry bit this time) right into the brickwork until you reach the required depth. The frame fixer is then driven in with a hammer, and tighted up.
Personally I go for Fischer stuff.....some of the fixers with screwdriver heads are difficult to fully tighten - the better ones have a hexagon head so its out with the spanner.

Sponsored Links
Screwfix and the like...basically you drill a hole through the timber, and then continue (with a masonry bit this time) right into the brickwork until you reach the required depth. The frame fixer is then driven in with a hammer, and tighted up.
Personally I go for Fischer stuff.....some of the fixers with screwdriver heads are difficult to fully tighten - the better ones have a hexagon head so its out with the spanner.

Oh cool. I have bolted using masonry bolts similar to thunder bolts. Is it the same principle? Cn I drill through as it is, bolted to the wall?

Frame fixers use only one size drill, to drill through both the timber and the masonry. Typical expansion bolts (Rawlbolts) use a larger drill in the masonry, and a smaller one through the timber. In this case, the post has to be removed first.

Frame fixers use only one size drill, to drill through both the timber and the masonry. Typical expansion bolts (Rawlbolts) use a larger drill in the masonry, and a smaller one through the timber. In this case, the post has to be removed first.

Ah ok. As it stands I must have frame fixers then? ... I used 10ml wood drill bit to drill through the post (after drilling a small countersunk hole). I then used a 10ml masonry drill but to drill in to the brickwork.

I then used 10ml bolts (basically same as thunder bolts) to bolt the post to wall.

It moves a bit when i try to wobblel it... Do you think it may b ok as I stands? I dont know how heavy the gates will be? The one gate one ting to this post will b 5 foot high and 3.5 foot wide

Cheers for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back