Is this shallow arch acceptable in chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
In the process of opening up to the builders opening on my 1930s house and I cant find a lintel just a shallow arch on the chimney breast.. there's no sign of movement at all. Do you think the current arch is acceptable considering its held the chimney up so far with no issues
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20191123_164126.jpg
    20191123_164126.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 354
Sponsored Links
the current arch is very acceptable.
you've already opened up to the builders opening except for the course of bricks below the arch?
that course might be supported by some kind of metal "lintel"?

what's your purpose in opening up and removing plaster?

the current arch is very acceptable.
you've already opened up to the builders opening except for the course of bricks below the arch?
that course might be supported by some kind of metal "lintel"?

what's your purpose in opening up and removing plaster?

Thanks, there isnt a lintel on the soldier course or bricks under the arch and the reason I haven't removed them as I didntwant to disrupt the arch in anyway, so do you think I wont need to add a lintel? And the arch is ok? was just abit concerned at it's not really much of an arch

The reason the plaster Is off as the chimney breast is suffering from damp from hydroscopic salts to it all needs treating etc
Thanks

there's more clarity on my monitor now (pics seem to take time to "mature") and i can see that the soldier course end bricks have been wedged in to create a poor man's arch, so to speak - a flat arch.
for insurance, what you can do is clean out the beds and perps on the arch, & point up before moving the soldier course.
should then be no problems after removing the soldiers.
but its your c/breast and your call - if no particular reason for moving the soldiers then leave them alone.

if you want to discuss hygroscopic & deliquescent problems then perhaps start a new thread

Sponsored Links
there's more clarity on my monitor now (pics seem to take time to "mature") and i can see that the soldier course end bricks have been wedged in to create a poor man's arch, so to speak - a flat arch.
for insurance, what you can do is clean out the beds and perps on the arch, & point up before moving the soldier course.
should then be no problems after removing the soldiers.
but its your c/breast and your call - if no particular reason for moving the soldiers then leave them alone.

if you want to discuss hygroscopic & deliquescent problems then perhaps start a new thread

That's a great help
Thanks alot!!

If you have damp in chimney then roof and stack needs checking for leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back