Is this sky install acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an awkward house with a conservatory in the way of a natural external cable run from the sky dish. What I was planning is this. from the sat box in the living room is to have wf65 cable say roughly a 1 to 2M (guessing standard sky issue) to a wall plate that will connect to another wall plate with 10M of wf100 cable connecting the two. Then from the 2nd wall plate another wf65 cable that will go through an external wall to the sky dish on a roughly 5M run. Obviously after the sky installer is done I can always upgrade the the cables at both ends of the set up?

In a nutshell would this work or are there too many joins? Instead of faceplates would i better of with barrel type connectors?

Hope this makes sense :)

Sponsored Links
Provided that the connections are correctly made with threaded "barrel" joints, the losses will be negligible.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page7.htm#adapt

You can buy (or make) plates with threaded barrel couplers but choose carefully.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/wall_plates.htm

Choose very carefully & make sure insertion losses are given when buying connectors..It should be about 0.01dB per connector, but some of the cheaply made connectors, especially those used at the frequencies used in the Sky system, can be many times that & this will result in significant losses with several poor quality connectors. Also cheaply made connector each create an "impedance bump" this is caused by the fact that they are not constant impedance..so multiple poor quality connectors cause even bigger losses than just the insertion loss.

Insertion losses vary across the frequency spectrum. Any figure given can be taken with a generous pinch of salt because it will be correct only under laboratory conditions with a specific plug and cable at a specified frequency. Likewise for LNB "noise" figures. Totally meaningless.

Sponsored Links
So if I'm careful with what I buy I could do what was in my original post? I'm still considering brush plates which would mean less connections but I'm undecided if I like them or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back