isolator switch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have recently started renting a house, whilst we were away (before anyone had moved in properly) the shower was left on and caused some damage to the upstairs. To turn the shower on you have to use the isolator cord since the power button on the shower doesnt work. The letting agents are saying that one of us left it on but we all know for a fact that it was off when we left because we checked it. Now, we thought we were gonna have no proof of this but the other day when i was testing the shower (after the incident), i noticed that there is a stage where you pull the isolator cord to turn it on and the little label switches to on but the light (on the isolator switch) which indicates its on doesnt come on and neither does the shower.
Could it be the case that it was left at this stage and eventually (maybe through the unit heating up) the contacts or somthing came together fully and the shower came on.
As it seems like the contacts arent completely together at this stage but very close, because if you give the slightest bit of pressure on the cord at this stage, ((not enough to fully switch it to off-as you have to pull quite firmly to switch it on or off and theres a click when you pull)) the shower and light come on but as soon as you release that slight pressure the shower and light go off, but obviously the swith says its still on because you havent pulled it firmly enough to click it off.

So would like to know whether at this stage the shower could have come on at some point through the contacts eventually fully connecting. Any information would be appreciated, because as far as i know isolator switches should just be on and off-isolationg the power completely from the shower, and no other inbetween stage.

the sequence of the isolator cord goes like this:
1.isolator switch says off(working-no water, no light),
2.isolator switch says on(but no water from shower, no light),
3.isolator switch says off (working-no water, no light),
4.isolator switch says on (working-water on and light on).

(stage 2 is the one i am concerned with)

Sponsored Links
It could well be a faulty switch, but it should be the letting agent/landlord that is resolving this problem, you should contact them to get it sorted out, they have a responsibility to do so.

Sounds like the isolator switch is sticking and not closing when the indicator says 'on'. In which case it could have become 'unstuck' spontaneously when you were out, the contacts close and because the switch on the shower is permanently on, the shower starts!

As PrenticeBoyOfDerry says, those to whom rent is paid need to sort that out (and fix the switch on the shower).

are shower isolators even supposed to be used for functional switching?

I certainly wouldnt be keen on it with an electric shower. (as apposed to power shower which is relativly low current draw.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all your suggestions guys, very helpful to give me a picture of what could have happened and now i know that it may have been possible. The letting agents have already said they will repair the damage on the landlords insurance but as they say its our fault they want to make us pay the electricity bill (which is probably pretty hefty as i dont know when it switched on and could have been up to a week).

Noone has actually been staying there and have only been in to put stuff in the house and everyone has been extremely careful to check everything before they leave. So i can now put this to the letting agent, plus a video of the sequence, so they can take a look. Because to anyone looking at the isolator switch without squinting it would appear to be off as the light isnt lit and the shower isnt running, its only when you get up very close can you see the very small 'on'. This fault was never mentioned to us beforehand (although i dont think the letting agent knew about it) and neither was the fact that you have to use the isolator cord for functional switching of the shower (although i discovered it myself when i first visited the house).
And yes i think you're right tim, i doubt it is particularly safe and probably what causes eventual sticking/faults in the isolator switch that echoes mentions.
thanks again!

also get them to address the shower issue, as timtheenchanter states.
Using the isolator rather than the shower unit as a functional switch is another issue.
If you've just moved in and no one has been living in the property the meter readings should be quite new and you could make a rough calculation to what power has been used for the shower.
I would argue the toss over the electric charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back