Issue with CH and HW at the same time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

first time to these forums, so cheers in advance.
We are having a slight issue which is bugging the family no end.

i recently (Nov) change the programmer on our system to a TH-0472 Two Channel programmer.
Prior to this we have a very old programmer with clunky manual switches to turn the HW/CH On or Off, the timer part had long stopped working.
On the old timer we could switch both HW/CH on at the same time with no issues.

Now we seem to have this issue where if one service is already on when the other is also turned on then the first service seems to take preference and the second service doesn't come on until the first turns off.

I don't think there are any issue with the boiler as the which ever service is running gets very hot.

I don't think there is an issue with either of the valves which opens the supply of water to either the hot water tank or the CH.
If you switch everything off and then switch on the HW then the valve to the hot water tank opens fine.
if you switch off the HW and switch on the CH then the vale to the CH opens just fine.
Suggest to me that the valves are fine and the wiring is in order.

i guess that the timer is trying to be econominal and if one service comes on it keeps the water flowing to that system in the hope that when that reaches correct temp for the thermostat to kick in, and then diverts water to the service that came on second. however due to my wifes desire to live like a repltile the thermostats are so high nothing ever reaches the thermostats temperature and is automatically switched off by the thermostats.

of course i may just be totally over thinking the issue and barking up the wrong tree completely.

happy to take photos etc and give spec if needed.

Cheers inadvance for any replys.
Colin.

Sponsored Links
Further note.

I've just read up on suitable thermostat settings.

The CH was set to 25+ i have moved this down to 21/22
The hot water was set to 70+ i have moved this to 60.

do you have one 'mid position three port valve' or two 'two port valves' on the system? sounds like a wiring issue.

Sponsored Links
I've found on several programmers that "feature" is changed via a switch or jumper setting, located on the rear of the device.

A quick look at the instructions located here: (Is this yours?)

http://www.thermsaver.co.uk/media/pdf/controls/thermsave-th-0472-programmer-installation-guide.pdf

It's possibly the "P or G mode selection" jumper/switch on your programmer (the English in that manual is appauling!) - I'm guessing that your's is currently set to "G"? If so, try changing it to "P" (or visa-versa)

Yes that is the timer we are using.
i can see what you mean about the english.

i will try this tommorow and see if it helps.

the jumper on the back didn't seem to make any difference.
Im starting to think it must be an issue with the timer.

i noticed that when both services come on the brightness of the timer drop dramatically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back