its my first time go easy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Its my first time using the site. My question is has anyone had a Sun Tube fitted to their home? I have a really dark hall way which the lights are constantly on. Having just watched an old Grand Designs where they have fitted one of these systems they seem really good. I had a couple of questions.

1) Are they easy to fit?
2) Are the Sun Tubes bright enough in the winter months.
3) The prices seem to vary massively are the more expensive ones really worth the additional costs.
4) Flexible vs Fixed pipe is their a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
I've seen them used in an office - and they were more effective than I expected. In terms of how well they work in winter, it's much the same as having a window - when the sun goes to bed, so does your natural light input.

They also work the other way round. There's a new house just down the road with a couple of these, and you can tell when the inside room is lit by the dome light on the roof.

Yes they work quite well when done properly, but don't scrimp on cost as the more reflective ones will bounce light better.. also consider where the dome on the roof will be, if its on the northern side it may not get much light to bounce down..

As far as i know they are simpler to fit that roof lights as you don't normally need to trim rafters etc..

Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone,

Its my first time using the site. My question is has anyone had a Sun Tube fitted to their home? I have a really dark hall way which the lights are constantly on. Having just watched an old Grand Designs where they have fitted one of these systems they seem really good. I had a couple of questions.

1) Are they easy to fit?
2) Are the Sun Tubes bright enough in the winter months.
3) The prices seem to vary massively are the more expensive ones really worth the additional costs.
4) Flexible vs Fixed pipe is their a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I put one in my extension roof to brighten what would be a dark corner, as I don't like great big velux windows overheating the place in the summer.

They are fairly easy to fit, depending on the routing. Lots of use of gaffer tape to get the thing in the correct place while you fit it. Make sure you get the right flashing kit for your roof.

Bright "enough" for what ? Obviously less light than at other times of the year. To simulate properly you would need to get out a light meter and do some sums using the manufactures spec.
The one I have makes enough difference for me even in the winter months (its on a west facing roof at the south side of the house).

The fixed pipes have a much higher light output - forget the flexible ones. The fixed pipes are more expensive and seem to fall into two groups, polished metal, and ones with a special film on to make them super-reflective (assuming this is not just a marketing spin).

I can't remember which make mine was, but it does the job.
Nice when it catches an early morning or late evening shaft of light that would get missed by a window.

We've fitted a few.

Velux are simple to fit, but finding the right location so that there are no obstacles in the way of the tunnel, is the tricky bit.

Don't go for the rigid tunnel design as this would be a nightmare to retro-fit in an existing roof. Obstacles to look out for are pipes, wires, and structural timber elements that can't be removed.

Don't be surprised if the joist arrangement means you cant locate the tunnel window centrally in the corridor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back