Jet of water from top of rain shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new bathroom has a Crosswater fixed shower head. When I turn it on a little jet of water shoots out of what looks like a screw hole above the head (picture attached). Any idea what this is?

Sponsored Links
If you can see a thread in the hole, then it's likely to have been a screw that's fallen out or was never fitted.

If you can see a thread in the hole, then it's likely to have been a screw that's fallen out or was never fitted.

I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I don't think there's a thread. The whole head screws directly into the pipe arm, so it doesn't seem to need tightening from an extra screw.

Bet there's supposed to be a little allen key headed screw in there which hasn't been fitted or lost by the installer.

Sponsored Links
I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I don't think there's a thread. The whole head screws directly into the pipe arm, so it doesn't seem to need tightening from an extra screw.
Have a closer look and come back.

That is the home for a grub screw to prevent the shower head from rocking about too easily. You should redrill and -tap that hole with the next size up (M4/M5/M6?) and then get a suitable stainless steel grub screw. A little wrap of PTFE if you really want to go the whole hog.

Nozzle

That is the home for a grub screw to prevent the shower head from rocking about too easily. You should redrill and -tap that hole with the next size up (M4/M5/M6?) and then get a suitable stainless steel grub screw. A little wrap of PTFE if you really want to go the whole hog.

Nozzle

Why do I need to redrill and tap? Couldn't I just find a grub screw to fit that hole?

I just spoke to the manufacturer of the shower head (crosswater) and apparently that hole is meant to be there - there's no grub screw.

They said that if water is shooting out of it, it means my water pressure is too high and the head is probably bust :cry:

They are sending me a flow regulator which should fix the problem, but I will probably have to buy a replacement shower head.

The guy said that it's a regular problem and there wouldn't have been a way to tell the pressure was too high before installing. In other words, you only know you need a regulator if your shower breaks :rolleyes:

What a load of crap. I wouldn't listen to that. Find something to block the hole and use it as normal. Never heard of a shower head breaking because of excess pressure in normal use and even then it would be over a long period of time, not a new shower! Sounds like they're trying to wriggle out of their warranty to me!

Was there a washer between female of shower head and the male thread of bend pipe? Look like it is missing as I can see water coming out around joint...

Daniel.

What a load of crap. I wouldn't listen to that. Find something to block the hole and use it as normal. Never heard of a shower head breaking because of excess pressure in normal use and even then it would be over a long period of time, not a new shower! Sounds like they're trying to wriggle out of their warranty to me!

+1

Was there a washer between female of shower head and the male thread of bend pipe? Look like it is missing as I can see water coming out around joint...

Daniel.

Yes! It turns out there was a missing washer and also a missing grub screw. No idea what the guy from Crosswater was on about!

Thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back