Jobbing Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its the end of another week and my phone has hardly rung, I've now been thinking of trying some jobbing work for those companies that charge an absolute fortune per hour.

just wondered if anyone had some expirenece with this type of work.
The companies I've approached are:

1st Access
1st Action
Home service direct
Purple Group
PCS Maintenance

apologies to the mods, I'm not trying to advertise these companies I'm just trying to find out if anyone has worked for them.

Sponsored Links
I take it that you live in North London/ Hertfordshire.

I have worked for 4 of these companies. The work is very sporadic and the buck stops with the engineer.

Don't work for 1st Access as they are bad/slow payers.

Andy

Are 1st access that bad, I'm going to see them tomorrow for some work. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Yeah I saw robin lippy boy, he's a bit cock sure.
Found out my mate also worked for them and he got shafted for final payment when he was leaving, they called this morning soI told em to shove it.

Well at least you haven't been caught out. They still pay all engineers by cheque, how many times did they say to me ..........the cheques in the post or there is no-one here to sign cheques.

They always keep the last/final wage saying that they will pay you in 3 mont. When the time comes they say that all those jobs were go backs and they had to pay a new engineer to put your work right.

You have made the right decision.

Andy

Have you tried any of the other companies that you mention?

The only one I haven't worked for is Purple group. The best out of the bad bunch was 1st Action.

Only had a reply from Home Service Direct, but to be honest I don't trust any of them. I don't have the patience to argue with their customers about how dear they are,(so don't use them :mad: ) its hard enough trying to get someone to pay my own rates and I'm cheaper than those muppets but Joe public keeps on using these companies.

How is it going, is the phone ringing? or have you started any other type of advertising?

Andy

Based on experience with this kind of company, I have some very simple advice for you: don't do it.

I tried subbing when I started on my own years ago, and 6 out of 7 companies I worked for still owe me money.
And this was in the days that plumbers were in high demand, so I dread to think what it is like during a bad recession and everybody and his dog are looking for work.
All problems are for you.
The money tends to come in late, if at all.
It's unlikely you will ever get your “retention money” when you leave. I personally know several people that tried it, and they said the same.
You may well end up using your tools, materials, fuel, and not even get that back.

I agree with Ben, I did work for some of these ar**wipes when I started you would get a call at 8-00PM asking you to attend a breakdown 40 miles away they promised payement in 14 days!!? you end up getting home after midnight having been to an oil fired boiler that hadn't had a service in a long time, you present the bill, they state that they will not pay for cleaning out a ton of soot, so deduct £30 from the bill and then take over 90 days to pay a pittance all of these co's are the same they charge the client a fortune and pay the subbie ziltch! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back