Johnson & Starly system

Sponsored Links
I would say around 20% were not regularly serviced..... Around 5% required return air , most customers would accept the additional works required as opposed to being issued a warning notice.
I must be one of the few who 'like' WAU's , most RGI's will shy away due to not being in scope.;)

As an appliance I also like WAUs!

But it was the sheer number of badly maintained units I was called to by people who did not want to spend any significant money on them.

Tonyu

I still have a J&S WAU unit installed & ready at a short notice to bring it into service should my recently installed wet CH scum to elements. (of course if need be an RGI will do that and issue a safety cert) I asked my RGI installer to leave it in place and just disconnect it from the gas and not rip it out due to asbestos lined cupboard.

I didn't want him to start stirring up asbestos, I had spent over £300.00 shortly before going for wet CH, because my horrible tenant when she eventually left left that property, in absolute mess, then was the chance to have a new wet system installed, whilst the property was empty, the previous tenant had been messing up with it by blocking up upstairs air ducts with padded jackets and cushions, and by doing so she almost destroyed my WAU, little did she know that blocking up complete flow (same as you cannot block off all your rads) caused it to overheat, and unlike combi boilers, they trip off OH, these WAU cycle On & OFF making like an oven, keeping very high temperatures inside that cupboard, causing the front plastic panel to deform (kind of melt like) .

So my RGI told me that he don't think I will get a new front panel, so I said what if I get hold of one for you, will you fit it, and he said if I can get hold of it yes he will fit it, so i made enquiry with J&S, and they had one or two in stock made of metal, I ordered that along with 2 new sensors, which is what he also suggested that we replace those as well just in case.

That horrible tenant also blocked off all permanent ventilation with duct tape, she really was dicing with her own and two of her children's lives.

My RGI really ticked her off and warned her if she did that again, then social workers will be notified.

Another thing, when I served her notice to quit, she would not let my RGI to go in to perform its yearly service, as she kept telling him its no point as i am going next week!

Last edited:
I don't like WAU installations and while a very few like the OP here do like them,
As so many of them are open flued, another potential safety issue there!

Tony
So Tony , do you 'like' them or not?

Sponsored Links
Read my words!

I like WAUs as an appliance ( from a technical point of view ) but don't like WAU installations.

Just as I like gas turbine generators but they are not really practical as temporary mobile generators.

I use a portable WAU, which is quite handy really doesn't require a flue and gas safety certificate , just plug and go! you can't get any better than that can you.

I am not sure but i think they call it a fan heater or something like that, quite versatile and efficient. yes a bit costly to run, but then you don't need to heat the whole place and only the room you are occupying, so you save more.

Imagine if you leave a room, it switches itself off having a smart sensor fitted to it, and as you enter another room another one Electric WAU comes on automatically! the heat follows you wherever you go without warming the whole house!

I think it might be something worth looking into as Energy saving system where PIRs detect presence and switches on heaters as and when required. It won't be good if you got children, good for retired couples.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back