joingin new to old foundations.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought a 1930's bungalow which we are planning to do a lot of works to. The corner of our lounge has a small chunk taken out of it where the front and side walls are chamfered and it annoys the hell out of me as it unbalances the room. I would like to knock this corner down and square it up. It would only be an extra 2 feet to the front wall and about 5 feet to the side wall.
Question is if i cast a new foundation for the extra wall, how should i join this to the existing. The roof alteration shouldnt be too difficult as the roof is currently the right shape and overhangs on this corner.

Sponsored Links
Joining foundation is the easy part, drill some steel bars (rebar) into the old, and pour the new next to it. But as Fred said, you're a long way from that stage yet.

Thanks for that. Sounds like it is easy then. If i drill and insert the rebar, how do i fix the rebar in the hole? do i need to insert a resin? or drill it large enough for the concrete to flow into the hole around the rebar? Any idea on how far in the rebar should be inserted into both the existing foundation and new. Also how many should be inserted? I have yet to expose the foundation so do not know how its size. This section of the house will only ever be single storey.

Planning permission is all underway and under control, however i would have thought this could be done under permitted development could it not? Hence i was planning on getting on and doing this whilst i am waiting for the full permission to come through foor the major changes (rear extension and addition of a first floor).

Sponsored Links
Planning permission is all underway and under control, however i would have thought this could be done under permitted development could it not? Hence i was planning on getting on and doing this whilst i am waiting for the full permission to come through foor the major changes (rear extension and addition of a first floor).
As mentioned, you need Planning Permission to extend onto the front elevation.

Depends, if its in a street of identical houses its not likely to be looked at favourably, if every house in your street is different though then its probably not an issue. Probably!

Every house is different so shouldnt be a problem. Thats what confused me when my first pre planning application comments were that the designs did not match the surround character. Which house do they want it to look like then as i can the 8 closest houses vary from modern 5 beds, 1930's bungalows, victorian terrace, a horendous new building etc

I shall have to have words with my brother in law as he is a free lance planning consultant and told me i could do it under permitted development. Worth telling him he is wrong if nothing else.

thanks again

Looks like you are right. Bugger. I am getting so frustrated waiting for permission, i just want to get started. Anyone got a time machine?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back