'Joining' a new external wall to an existing leaning wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently having plans drawn for a full-width, single storey, pitched roof side return kitchen extension on a Victorian mid-terrace.

The new rear wall of the infill side return will be flush with the existing rear wall of the kitchen (with bathroom above), which is rendered. I plan to have the new rear wall rendered to match.

Thing is, the existing rear wall of the two storey kitchen/bathroom is a little way off vertical - it overhangs/leans by a few degrees.

There's been no movement in the decade we've owned the house, despite hot summers, local flooding and a clay subsoil. No internal cracks or anything.

Simple question: how could the new, contiguous rear be built? Pis*ed to match the existing, or would it be built vertical, and the offset (zero at base, rising to 3cm at flashing - height 3m) be hidden with a thick render?

Thoughts, please!

thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
You will obviously build the new extension in-line with the old starting from the bottom. Any deviation will have to occur as you go up. It may be possible to build in twist allowing the new brickwork to follow the old, as 3cm is not a hill of beans.

That's pretty much what I assumed. I'm hoping a thick render will cover it all up!

Don't go for a thick render to try and hide the distortion. 30mm+ ain't ever going to work.

Either accept the distortion, build the new plumb and step at junction, or either step new wall slightly either forward or back and don't compete with the existing wall.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for final comment. I'll put ideas to our builders once we get past planning/PD. (Work is scheduled for an April start)

I've posted in the Planning forum on this as well, since making the new wall flush would take us c. 10cm over the 3m back allowed under PD. We *might* make a call that making the step back sufficient to bring us under PD would be worthwhile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back