Joining onto lead pipe

And have a Plan B, in case the Lead-lok doesn't fit.

http://youtu.be/Ft0IV-Wvw4s

There should be an accessible stop-cock at the base of the riser. The stop-cock probably won't work and will start leaking after you move it, but the pipe there is quite likely the same size lead as on the roof, so you could get a micrometer or vernier calipers onto it there.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Andy, yes I have just seen your message thanks but to be honest I think it's a bit of a risky strategy as the copper coming off my lead pipe would need to be about 35 mm by the looks of it.
Nige, as I said before, I cont connect onto where the ball valve is now connected as the new tank has a different layout to the old one and I have to cut and get onto the pipe at low level.
I think Dans suggestion of the Philmac fittings is what I will go with.

Thanks for all the suggestions Chaps.

You can`t pull the old lead tail away from the existing connection and lay it somewhere accesible - then re pipe :confused:

Hi Nige, no that won't work I'm afraid, for a multitude of reasons I won't bore you with. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

By saying the lead is 40mm thick I am assuming the OP means roughly 40mm diameter.
If I am assuming correctly it would almost certainly be 1" 16lb lead.
There is a Leadloc for that to 1" FI BSP.

Use your trade skills and sweat a bit of copper in.
I fight shy of mechanical fittings on lead wherever possible.

The job is in Mayfair, central London. I know what your saying about mechanical fittings rogue trader but unfortunately I learnt my plumbing skills after they stopped teaching soldering onto lead. Also, I don't know if my insurance will cover me if I make a joint using an outdated method.

Mayfair :eek: £oadsa dosh then :idea: . I`ll come up with a Philmac transitional , a filthy mac and a tranny , all piled in the car and give you a hand . Lead holds no fear for me - I`ve bent it -pulled bobbins through it , spat on it ( to test the temp.) Put my bent bolt into it . etc. :mrgreen: But I`d use the Philmac , Is it anywhere near Pimlico ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back