Joining wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been thinking about sorting out my garage roof and merging two garages.
Trouble is I will end up with a 5.5m (long) x 6.6m (wide) structure so am thinking of doing a plain single lean (lean-to/shed type) roof.

I was thinking of using multiple 47x100mm lengths. They are 3.5m (in wickes). Obviously they would require joining to to one full span of 5.5m, and I think they will be strong enough (still in theory stage at the moment :LOL:) they will obviously sit sideways.

One way I can think of is too use two lengths that I was too join then cut another one to bolt in parallel to the middle and bolted/screwed in multiple places.
Ive also seen nail plates used but im not sure of their strength?

The roof would have to handle (bitumen) corrugated sheets which are lite, but would be desirable that I could crawl over it so be able to handle the weight of a person.

Im not experienced so would like to ask you guys rather than find out after doing!! :D

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Calculator is a bit too complex for me.

My catalogue here has the following sawn treated wood.

47 x 100

45s .. 70,95,120,145

There is a 47x150 in kiln dried.

Just has to cover the full 5.5m and I would probably have 500-600 insides.

Still how would I join them ?

6x2 if its an "A" frame roof or 8x2" if its a slopping roof

if you wish to go for the flat face on you will have to upsize to 2x8and 2x10 respectivley

get the timber in the lengths you need from your timber merchants

or overlap the timber by 800mm to 1m use timber dogs and 4 or 5 coach bolts

have re-thought my answer you loose about 60% off the strength when you lay flat so egnore my suggestion and employ a structural engineer as respectivly its probably 3x8 and 3x10 when flat

Sponsored Links
Similar to this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRnjDabKka4&feature=channel

Ive done no calculations but when you actually look at the wood and lay it on its flat side ts not very strong (for that sort of span).

As long as I can get the wood I want there will be no prob. I will try another local place to see if they do longer lengths. The other idea was to put a metal beam across in the other direction centrally but I think that is over the top for corrugated sheet :)
What are timber dogs? Anything here would do it http://www.wickes.co.uk/Hardware+Metalwork/Timber-Brackets/icat/bmtimberbrack ?

Was going to do a A frame type roof but im not sure how high I am allowed to go, more hassle in sorting the open ends out and as I dont yet live there (its my nans house) I decided it to be quicker to slightly raise the garage and put on a flatroof. When I live there I will make a bigger garage as house has quite a large garden and I could for example make that garage 3 times longer and would like a proper 2nd floor with planning perms etc..

thanks

if you place the timbers that way you are fine !!
why where you talking about laying them sideways!! :rolleyes:

if you place the timbers that way you are fine !!
why where you talking about laying them sideways!! :rolleyes:

if you wish to go for the flat face on you will have to upsize to 2x8and 2x10 respectivley

Had no intention of laying them sideways but I thought that was one of the theorys you came up with (see above quoted)

I will post some pics when I get to it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back