Joist spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to floor the loft for storage puposes.
The joists are approximately 5.5 inches deep by 2 inches wide, all spanning about 10ft. BUT the spacing is 24 inches between cntres.

What would be the best way/material for this floor - many in the DIY stores indicate the materials are not suitable for such wide spacing.

Sponsored Links
do you say the centres are 24" or 600mm?

i know both measurements are close, but a 2400mm t&g sheet will work at 600mm centres but not at 24".

best thing to do is cross batten with some 75mmx50mm timber, setting them at 600mm centres.

Sponsored Links
noseall
Yes, I had thought that a possibility but wanted to be sure I was not missing something very obvious to the experienced.

Will the T/G be ok bridging the 600mm gaps?

19mm softwood T and G boarding or
22mm chipboard or
16mm Plywood or
18/19mm Oriented strand board

NHBC regs specify that all the above decking materials will be ok to span that distance in a domestic floor.
If you want to be sure, you could always use the next thickness up.

Thanks noseall and Bowness72

I will now price up the alternatives and get ready to do the job in the spring when the loft is neither freezing cold or scorching hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back