Joists in bathroom too short!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are currently having our bathroom redecorated and the bath is being moved. Yesterday we took up the floorboards along the wall where the bath is to go and discovered that at least 2 of the joists do not actually reach the wall :eek: . They are about 3cm too short. The others are also too short, but seem to be supported by a smaller joist running perpendicular (but this does not reach to 2 that are the main issue). I need to take up more floorboards tonight and take a better look.

I looks like we originally had a chimney stack in the room below on which the joists rested, but was removed long ago before we bought the house.

What advise could you give as to how to solve this problem. I've spoken to a few people and so far we have the following;

1) Acro the whole floor from the kitchen below, remove the existing joist and replace

2) Put in new joists next to the existing ones that do not reach and connect these together with joist plates/splice plates. In effect lengthening the existing joist with the new ones.

3) Replace the smaller joist that runs perpendicular to include the 2 that are the issue.

Advise please. I'm looking to do the work myself, or would you suggest a more professional approach?

Thanks,
Ben

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back