Keyless locks for upvc windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of the new regs (yes prezza again) certain rented houses now have to have locks on the ground floor that can be opened without a key. e.g. a thumbturn deadlock for the front door (i.e. key from outside only) and something similar for the windows.

Yes it's a security risk but that is what fat prezza has decided so that is what we must do.

The windows are new pvc windows the front door is a big wooden door. I could just take the keys away for the ordinary window locks I guess, but I will need a thumbturn 5 lever mortice

I am not having any luck sourcing such a lock for either the window or the door! I have tried multipointlocks.co.uk and dgsupplyline.co.uk but cant see one. Is there something obvious I am missing?

Sponsored Links
cookoid_0 said:
certain rented houses now have to have locks on the ground floor that can be opened without a key. e.g. a thumbturn deadlock for the front door (i.e. key from outside only) and something similar for the windows.
Not sure what you mean, you want a keyless windows handle? Any idea why certain rented house?
Yes it's a security risk but that is what fat prezza has decided so that is what we must do.
If it's not lockable then the house insurance is invalid
The windows are new pvc windows
They normally are available with locks?
I am not having any luck sourcing such a lock for either the window or the door! I have tried multipointlocks.co.uk and dgsupplyline.co.uk but cant see one. Is there something obvious I am missing?
I'm trying to understand what you're after. Any photo or picture?

masona said:
Not sure what you mean, you want a keyless windows handle? Any idea why certain rented house?
It must be openable without a key. I was thinking of somekind of thumbturn deadbolt or other to make it so you couldnt just reach in through broken window and unlock very quickly. I dont exactly know to be honest. This applys to High risk HMO's (Houses of multiple occupancy) but will also apply to other HMO's in selective licencing areas.

If it's not lockable then the house insurance is invalid

Yes, dunno how they plan to get round that, but believe me this is soon to be the law. As a landlord I only need to insure the building structure, the tenants can choose to get separate contents insurance. This is difficult for them to get anyway this might make it impossible. I will ask the local council HMO licencing officer this question on Monday he is supposed to be phoning me.

They normally are available with locks?
Yes, locks with keys is the standard isnt it?
I'm trying to understand what you're after. Any photo or picture?

Thanks for your effort! I don't have a picture that would be making it too easy. Local councils/ODPM dont do things like that!

OK, forgetting the window, I am not really sure what I want there either. For the door I imagine something like a bathroom lock but openable from the outside with a key! Is that any clearer? :oops:

I thought that what you meant!

Well, better ask the fat controller Prescott which manufacter knows about this because I think you'll be hard push to find one unless they do one like a cabinet latch lock type but mean do away with window handles. As you says it's a security risk :confused:

Sponsored Links
It must be openable without a key. I was thinking of somekind of thumbturn deadbolt or other to make it so you couldnt just reach in through broken window and unlock very quickly.

Unless the thieves are really stupid, surley they will just break a larger window and climb in :confused:

Are you allowed to deadlock the door when the house is unoccupied?

If not, you're talking about a Nightlatch or an Escape lock, there are plenty of them around.

In high-street bank branches (and my house) a Chubb 3R35 is used, very expensive but strong, can be opened from the outside with a key or from the inside with a knob or handle, can be deadlocked unless it has been modified as an escape lock, or the latch can be held back with a snib. A "yale" does the same but is not strong. Neither of them is BS approved. A Eurocylinder with a key on the outside and a turn on the inside would do.

If you are allowed to deadlock it when unoccupied, an ordinary BS deadlock could be used in conjunction with a nightlatch. If you want the occupiers to have a more secure door when they're inside you could give them a big bolt plus a nightlatch.

I agree about not deadlocking doors when you're inside, might not be able to find they keys and escape in the event of a fire.

Unfortunately if you can't deadlock the door when unoccupied, an burglar can put his hand, or himself, through broken glass and open to door so he can conveniently carry your possessions away.

There are a number of cylinder operated deadlocks and sashlocks on the market - see here for a few examples (http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Lockshop_Warehouse_Cylinder_Mortice_Locks_33.html). Look for a BS rated model with security escutcheons and hard plate to prevent snapping/drilling. Note, the BS rating only applies if you use the associated cylinder. If this is swapped for a thumbturn, then it loses the BS rating. Chubb also do a new range (can't think of the model at moment), and they recommend Mul-T-Lok cylinders - a great combination.

If you do fit a thumbturn, also fit a letterbox restricting plate to prevent someone reaching through the letterbox and turning the thumbturn. If the door is glazed, then a thumbturn is a bad idea.

It's worth a call to your local fire safety officer to see if he'd check your current setup and make any recommendations. These can then be documented and fullfilled.

Thanks all. I will look into those models and links you mentioned.

Yes I the front door is a very strong wooden door with chunky decorative grilles would wouldn't be able to get through. I dont think you are allowed to lock it so you couldnt open it from the inside keyless even if unoccupied.

Its not an ideal situation the argument is that lots of fires in student and other young sharers houses occur and in the panic the key cant be found to the front door hence horrible death. I dont know if its more theory than something whcih happens very often I have certainly never heard of it. But this is housing act 2004 in action.

Once the local scallys click on that student houses are a pushover as there are no downstairs deadlocks Prezza might have to think again.

I am going to ask the local council licencing officer to come and take a look. They hint that they are only really interested in coming down hard on deathtrap sh*tholes where the landlords tightness is genuinely endagering someones life. But we shall see!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back