Killing Roots in Drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know where you can but a foaming root killer to top roots growing in drains. Just spent the weekend clearing roots out and don't want them to come back. Seems you can but Root Killer in the USA but nothing in UK?

If no to foaming root killer any other way to kill em?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please do not duplicate-post. Read the Forum Rules.

I have locked your other one.

Mod Rupert

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
The normal way is to use a high pressure jetter to cut through them.

Unfortunately you dont seem to want to understand the problem!

There are holes in the drain which allow the roots to enter!

The roots enter to take moisture out of the drain. These roots are connected to a plant which is usually a tree!

There are two solutions, the first is to repair/replace the drain which is the correct solution. The second which is only a bodge is to cut down the tree whose roots are entering your defective drain.

Be aware that some trees have roots which extend 10-20 m from the tree.

Tony

I do understand the problem, but there is often more than one way to solve the problem. There are many trees on my property and suspect drain is surrounded by many many roots some of which have found a way through a join and have blocked the drain.
I don't want to cut down all the trees which to dig to the drain I would have to do so I am looking for a way to locally discourage the roots from entering the drain.
Products have been invented to do this and I simple ask if anyone knows where you can buy them.

Since the drain is exactly that any product put into it will flow away. Furthermore you are very limited as to what you are allowed to put into drains.

I am not aware of any legal product that you could use!

If you wanted an illegal product you could block the drain for a few days an fill it with conc nitric acid. That might last a few weeks but roots just regrow whatever you do with them. I have just had a tree on adjoining land cut down because of the root damage it has been causing to me property.

As you drain is leaking then thats an offence under the public health acts!

Furthermore, tree roots have an immense power to expand and split masonary and drains and the damage could already be quite considerable.

Tony

Sponsored Links
not the brightest of spammers then
lol-003.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back